Extraction of the Beam Elastic Shape from Uncertain FBG Strain Measurement Points
Aim of the present paper is the analysis of the strain along the beam that is equipped with Glass Fibers Reinforced Polymers (GFRP) with an embedded set of optical Fiber Bragg Grating sensors (FBG), in the context of a project to equip with these new structural elements an Italian train bridge.
during the production process  it is difficult to locate precisely the FBG along the reinforcement bar, therefore the following question appears: how can we associate the strain measurements to the points along the bar? Is it possible to create a signal analysis procedure such that this correspondence is found?
the beam can be inflected and besides the strain at some points, we would like to recover the elastic shape of the deformed beam that is equipped with the reinforcement bars. Which signal processing do we use to determine the shape of the deformed beam in its inflection plane?
if the beam is spatially inflected, in two orthogonal planes, is it possible to recover the beam spatial elastic shape?
Object of the paper is to answer to these questions.
KeywordsStructural health monitoring Strain measurements GFRP FBG Neural network classifier
This work was carried out by the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Sapienza, University of Rome, in collaboration with BASF Italy Spa., and SIREG GEOTECH srl.
- 1.Zhou, Z., Graver, T.W., Hsu, L., Jin-ping, O.: Techniques of advanced FBG sensors: fabrication, demodulation, encapsulation and their application in the structural health monitoring of bridges. Pac. Sci. Rev. 5, 116–121 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Yang, J.N., Chang, P.C., Fujitani, H., Li, H., Spencer Jr., B.F., Xu, Y.L., Yuan, F.G.: Structural control and health monitoring. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Advances and New Challenges in Earthquake Engineering Research, vol. 3, pp. 9–14 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Kemp, M., Blowes, D.: Concrete Reinforcement and Glass Fibre Reinforced Polymer, Queensland Roads Edition, no. 11, pp. 40–48 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Patil, V.R.: Experimental Study of Behavior of RCC Beam by Replacing Steel Bars with Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer and Carbon Reinforced Fiber Polymer (GFRP) (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Vestroni, F., Ciambella, J., Dell’Isola, F., Vidoli, S.: Damage detection with auxiliary subsystems, CIMTEC 2008. In: Proceedings of Third International Conference on Smart Materials, Structures and Systems – Emboding Intelligence in Structures and Integrated Systems, vol. 56, pp. 401–413 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Hagan, M.T., Demuth, H.B., Beale, M.H., De Jesús, O.: Neural Network Design, 2nd edn. (Inglese) Copertina flessibile – 1 set 2014 (2014)Google Scholar