Experimental Dynamic Tests of Rib Implants
This paper presents dynamic tests that are performed on swine ribs. TEMARI (TEsting MAchine for Artificial RIbs) machine has been modified in order to set up and adapt an osteosynthesis implant in a fractured swine rib under load conditions emulating the respiratory cycle in a human being. The method for analyzing innovative implants is work ed out as based on strain gauge arrangements on the swine rib under testing with data acquisition system MM01-350 USB of Micro-Measurements. The test results are discussed in terms of motion characteristics of the specimen as well as the forces of compression and reaction on it during each compression cycle.
KeywordsBiomechanics Experimental biomechanics Osteosynthesis implants Ribs
The first author wishes to gratefully acknowledge Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia (CONACyT) and Instituto Politécnico Nacional through scholarship “Beca mixta para estancias de investigación en el extranjero” for permitting his period of study at LARM of Cassino University in the A.Y. 2017-18.
- 1.Canale, S.: Orthopedic Surgery, p. 2669. Elsevier, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.De Lucas, P., Domínguez, I.: Osteosynthesis Handbook, pp. 1–3. Elsevier, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Labitzke, R.: On the question of biomechanical testing of metal implants for the thoracic wall stabilization. Langenbeck’s Arch. Surg. 354, 169–171 (1981)Google Scholar
- 4.Perz, R., Toczyski, J., Kindig, M., Ito, D., Ejima, S., Kamiji, K., Yasuki, T., Crandall, J., Subit, D.: Evaluation of the geometrical properties distribution along the human ribs using different X-ray imaging methods. In: International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Injury Conference, IRCOBI 2013, Gothenburg, pp. 245–254 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Aguilar, L.A., Ceccarelli, M., Torres San Miguel, Ch.R., Urriolagoitia Sosa, G., Urriolagoitia Calderón, G.: Experimental evaluation of artificial human ribs. In: Multibody Mechatronic Systems, pp. 434–443. Springer, Cham (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Torres San Miguel, Ch.R.: Anti-rotatory implant for rib fractures. Patent request n. MX/u/2017/000533, 12 Apr 2017, Mexico City. (in Spanish)Google Scholar
- 13.Ceccarelli, M., Aguilar, L.A., Torres San Miguel, Ch.R.: Testing machine for artificial ribs. Request n. 102017000036498, 3 Apr 2017, Italy. (in Italian)Google Scholar