Modelling Friction Phenomena in an Underactuated Tendon Driven Finger by Means of Vision System Device Data
This study aims to improve the simulation model of a tendon driven finger, by means of experimental data acquired with a vision device. This mechanical system is part of an underactuated mechanical hand that was developed also for prosthetic purpose: the “Federica” hand. Using measured data, the multibody model has been enriched to account for friction phenomena. The friction contribution is designed to make the multibody simulation results closer to those of the real finger dynamics. At the same time, it is possible to use the improved model to study the effects of friction phenomena on the dynamic behaviour of the real mechanical system.
KeywordsUnderactuated robotic hand Multibody simulations Friction Digital Image Correlation
The authors thank Marco Vassallo to contribute to this work during the master’s degree thesis.
- 2.Amirouche, F.: Fundamentals of multibody dynamics: theory and applications. Epub ahead of print 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/b137682
- 4.Niola, V., Rossi, C., Savino, S., et al.: An underactuated mechanical hand: a first prototype. In: 23rd International Conference on Robotics in Alpe-Adria-Danube Region, IEEE RAAD 2014 - Conference Proceedings. Epub ahead of print 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/raad.2014.7002225
- 5.Niola, V., Carbone, G., Rossi, C., et al.: An underactuated mechanical hand prosthesys by IFTOMM Italy. In: The 14th IFToMM World Congress, Taipei, Taiwan, 25–30 October 2015. Epub ahead of print 2015. https://doi.org/10.6567/iftomm.14th.wc.ps13.005
- 6.Niola, V., Rossi, C., Savino, S.: Dynamical model and prototype tests of a self-adaptive mechanical hand. Int. Rev. Model. Simul. 9, 97–104 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Karelina, M.Y., Krylov, E., Rossi, C., et al.: A multibody model of federica hand. Eng. Lett. 24, 406–417 (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Armstrong, B., de Wit, C.C.: Friction Modeling and Compensation, The Control Handbook. CRC Press, Boca Raton (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Palli, G., Borghesan, G., Melchiorri, C.: Tendon-based transmission systems for robotic devices: models and control algorithms. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Kobe, Japan, 12–17 May 2009Google Scholar
- 10.Chiang, L.S., Jay, P.S., Valdastri, P., Menciassi, A., Dario, P.: Tendon sheath analysis for estimation of distal end force and elongation. In: IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Singapore, 14–17 July 2009Google Scholar
- 11.Palli, G., Borghesan, G., Melchiorri, C.: Friction and visco-elasticity effects in tendon-based transmission systems. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, 3–8 May 2010Google Scholar