Urbanisation and Energy Linkages in Bangladesh
The recent development of Bangladesh has occurred mainly through the industrialisation, and the energy demand is expected to increase to keep pace with the rapid industrialisation and urbanisation. Millions of people are concentrating in townships every year, and the number will keep on spiralling until prominent alternative jobs are created in other regions of the country. Urbanisation increases energy usage in Bangladesh by aggravating the demand for housing, land use, public utilities, food, electric appliances and nonetheless transportation. Urban regions are more energy intensive than rural regions as urban dwellers consume higher quantities of resources and add pressure to the feeble ecosystem, implying that the continuous increase in the ecosystem in urbanisation will have a notable impact on energy demand and usage. Therefore, understanding the linkage between urbanisation and energy is very important for Bangladesh. A rapid and poorly planned urbanisation can cause widespread energy poverty.
KeywordsEnergy demand Urbanisation Bangladesh Energy efficiency Industrialisation Urban Population Energy intensity
- Arouri, M. E. H., Youssef, A. B., Nguyen-Viet, C., & Soucat, A. (2014). Effects of urbanization on economic growth and human capital formation in Africa. Program on the Global Demography of Aging at Harvard University, PGDA working paper series. Available at https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-01068271.
- Jones, D. W. (1989). Urbanization and energy use in economic development. The Energy Journal, 10(4) 29–44. Available at https://www.jstor.org/stable/41322370.
- Pachauri, S. (2012). Demography, urbanisation and energy demand”. In: F. L. Toth (Ed.). Energy for development: Resources, technologies, environment (pp. 81–94). Dordrecht: Springer. Available at https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-94-007-4162-1_7.Google Scholar
- Power System Master Plan. (2016). Power Division, Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. Available at https://powerdivision.portal.gov.bd/sites/default/files/files/powerdivision.portal.gov.bd/page/4f81bf4d_1180_4c53_b27c_8fa0eb11e2c1/(E)_FR_PSMP2016_Summary_revised.pdf.
- Quigley, J, M. (2008). Urbanization, agglomeration, and economic development. Working Paper Number 19, Commission on Growth and Development, Washington, D.C.: World Bank. Available at http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/914731468177532792/Urbanization-agglomeration-and-economic-development.
- World Bank. (2017). World Development Indicator, WDI, 2017.Google Scholar