The following chapter provides ethnographic insights into the topic of sports volunteering in India. The concept of volunteering in India stems from cultural and religious backgrounds, with an emphasis on helping less fortunate segments of society. The realities of the economic and social conditions in the country prevent sports volunteering from existing as a culture in India, nor is it in the current mandate of the government to develop it. Sports volunteering in India is mostly episodic, specifically, volunteering at large-scale events. The role of volunteers in the newly launched sporting leagues is dependent on the policies of the individual firms that run the leagues. In contrast to volunteering at large-scale events and leagues, non-episodic volunteering remains comparatively rare, informal, and unregulated.
- Bain & Company. (2017). Indian philanthropy report.Google Scholar
- Census Info India. (2011). http://www.dataforall.org/dashboard/censusinfo/. Accessed 18.12.2017.
- Chelladurai, P., Nair, U., & Stephen, S. (2013). India. In K. Hallmann & P. Karen (Eds.), Comparative sport development. Sports economics, management and policy. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- CWG Delhi. (2010). http://d2010.thecgf.com/delhi_united/volunteering_opportunities. Accessed 02.12.2017.
- CYG Pune. (2008). http://www.cygpune2008.in/updates/cygpuneofficial-cyg-pune-website.php. Accessed 02.12.2017.
- Dasra. (2013). Power of play: Sport for development in India.Google Scholar
- Draft National Sports Development Bill. (2013). https://yas.nic.in/sites/default/files/File921.pdf. Accessed 02.04.2018.
- FICCI-EY Consulting Report. (2016). Value added service – Wellness and preventive healthcare. http://www.ficci.in/pressrelease/2616/ficci-Wellness-industry.pdf. Accessed 18.12.2017.Google Scholar
- FIFA. (2017). http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/news/y=2017/m=2/news=volunteers-faq-india-2017-2867700.html. Accessed 02.12.2017.
- Haryana Sports and Physical Fitness Policy. (2015). A dynamic and innovative culture that promotes and celebrates participation and excellence in sports. http://www.haryana.gov.in/citizens/policies/HSPFP.pdf. Accessed 02.04.2018.
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. (2003). Volunteer spirit empowers Gujarat quake communities. http://www.ifrc.org/en/news-and-media/news-stories/asia-pacific/india/volunteer-spirit-empowers-gujarat-quake-communities/. Accessed 05.12.2017.
- Kerala Sports Policy. (2015). A report submitted by High Power Committee. https://kerala.gov.in/documents/10180/46696/KERALA%20SPORTS%20%28DRAFT%29%20POLICY%202015. Accessed 02.04.2018.
- KhalsaAid. (2017). https://www.khalsaaid.org/. Accessed 07.12.2017.
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports Department of Sports. (2011). National sports development code of India 2011. https://yas.nic.in/sports/national-sports-development-code-india-2011. Accessed 02.04.2018.
- Mukherjee, A., Goswami, R., Goyal, T. M., & Satija, D. (2010). Sports retailing in India: Opportunities, constraints and way forward. The sports retailing industry in India market research (Draft Paper). The Sports Retailing Industry In India Market Research. Google Scholar
- Sriram, R. (Ed.). (2017). FIFA U-17 World Cup: Meet Lucas Cardoso – The 72-year-old who will be volunteering come October (Goal). http://www.goal.com/en-in/news/fifa-u-17-world-cup-meet-lucas-cardoso-the-72-year-old-who/1e7r6vn6uhzgc1kvl31hlamq7n. Accessed 05.12.2017Google Scholar
- The Indian Express (01.06.2017; Ed.). (2017). Volunteer programme registration for FIFA U-17 World Cup closes to great response. http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/football/volunteer-programme-registration-for-fifa-u-17-world-cup-closes-to-great-response-4684490/ Google Scholar
- The Times of India (14.10.2017; Ed.). (2017). Seven arrested for black marketing FIFA U-17 WC tickets. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/2017-u-17-world-cup/news/seven-arrested-for-black-marketing-fifa-u-17-wc-tickets/articleshow/61084552.cms.Google Scholar
- The World Bank. (2011). India. http://povertydata.worldbank.org/poverty/country/IND. Accessed 18.12.2017.
- World Population Review. (2014). http://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/pune-population/. Accessed 17.10.2017.