POSS Hybrid Materials for Medical Applications
Medical application is one of the most important issues in the field of material science and has found very high level of attention. During the last decades, the development of new methods or materials which can improve the quality of medical services has been very intense. Using nanotechnology provides new rooms to enhance this field. Polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS) is a new generation of nanostructures showing the properties of nanoparticles and molecules at the same time. Improving thermal and mechanical properties and enhanced solubility are interesting characteristics found in these materials. POSS can be used in medical applications, broadly. It can improve mechanical properties of biomaterials that are very important in tissue engineering. Also, it can improve the resistance of biomaterials against degradation. Today, dental materials use POSS as a key component. Drug delivery and bioimaging are other examples that use POSS as discussed in this chapter.
KeywordsBioimaging Biomaterial Dental nanocomposite Drug delivery POSS Tissue engineering
- 1.Sperling LH (2005) Introduction to physical polymer science. WileyGoogle Scholar
- 4.Yahyaei Hossein, Mohseni Mohsen, Ghanbari Hossein (2015) Physically blended and chemically modified polyurethane hybrid nanocoatings using polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane nano building blocks: surface studies and biocompatibility evaluations. J Inorg Organomet Polym Mater 25(6):1305–1312CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Bruschi ML (2015) Modification of drug release. In: Strategies to modify the drug release from pharmaceutical systems, pp 15–28Google Scholar
- 16.McCusker C, Carroll JB, Rotello VM (2005) Cationic polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS) units as carriers for drug delivery processes. Chem Commun:996–998Google Scholar
- 29.Kidane AG, Burriesci G, Edirisinghe M, Ghanbari H, Bonhoeffer P, Seifalian AM (2009) A novel nanocomposite polymer for development of synthetic heart valve leaflets 5(7):2009–2017Google Scholar