Effect of Steel Slag on Cold Bituminous Emulsion Mix
Due to limited modes of practice of utilization, huge amount of iron and steel slag dumped in yards of each production unit and engaging of important agricultural land and gave pollution to whole environment. The effective use of steel slag, as by product of steel industry which is sustainable construction material, in cold bituminous emulsion mix (CBEM) has ultimate benefits such waste disposal, saving natural resources and lowering cost of roadways. Effect of mixes prepared with steel slag were compared with the mixes prepared with replacement of cement and control mix. Experimental work was carried out on the sample of control mix, mix with cement replacement and modified mix. For modified mix, steel slag were replaced by 10%, 20%, 30% and 40% of aggregate having same size as of steel slag in gradation. Filler were replaced by 1%, 2% and 3% of weight of total aggregate by cement. Optimum emulsion content of each mix obtained by using Marshall stability test and comparison of stability values were carried out. The comparison of results of indirect tensile strength test and retained stability test on CBEM prepared with steel slag, cement and control mix. Significant improvement in Marshall stability, retained stability and indirect tensile strength of mixes prepared with the replacement of steel slag as compared to control mix and mixes prepared with replacement of cement.
- Indian Minerals Yearbook-2017 Part- II : Metals and Alloys, Slag- Iron And Steel, Indian Bureau Of MinesGoogle Scholar
- IRC: SP: 100-2014: Use Of Cold Mix Technology in Construction and Maintenance of Roads Using Bitumen Emulsion. Indian Roads Congress, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- IS 3117-2004: Bitumen emulsion for roads and allied applications (Anionic type) - Specification (First Revision), Bureau of Indian Standards, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- IS 8887-2004: Bitumen emulsion for roads (Cationic type) - Specification (Second Revision), Bureau of Indian Standards, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- MORTH: Specifications for Road and Bridge Works (Fifth Revision). Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, New Delhi, Section 500, Bituminous cold mix, Clause 519.1, pp. 227–232 (2013)Google Scholar
- Koranne, S.S., Valunjkar, S.S.: Utilisation of steel slag in roads of Marathwada region. Int. J. Innov. Eng. Res. Technol. 2(7) (2015). https://www.ijiert.org/paper-details?paper_id=140251