Sustainable Guar Initiative, Social Impact Characterization of an Integrated Sustainable Project
- 126 Downloads
Sustainable Guar Initiative is a three-year long integrated program aiming at developing sustainable guar production within the Bikaner district in Rajasthan, India. SGI was set up by Solvay, L’Oréal, HiChem and the NGO TechnoServe. To confirm and consolidate the relevance of the program and to identify potential improvement opportunities, an environmental and social Life Cycle Assessment has been conducted, comparing the guar production before and after the Sustainable Guar Initiative. This paper focus on methodological aspects related to the Social Life Cycle Assessment (S-LCA): functional unit, scope and rating system definition. We set up a common rating system enabling information aggregation from multiple sources in order to capture the complexity of a product system.
- 1.UNEP/SETAC. Guidelines for social life cycle assessment of products, 2009.Google Scholar
- 2.WBCSD. Social life cycle metrics for chemical products, 2016.Google Scholar
- 3.Indrane D. Small but complex: integrating smallholders within the handbook for product social impact assessments, 2017.Google Scholar
- 4.Directorate of census operations Rajasthan. district census handbook, 2011.Google Scholar
- 5.Fontes J. Handbook-for-Product-Social-Impact-Assessment-30, 2016, 1–146.Google Scholar