The Yeast Prefoldin Bud27
Bud27 and its human orthologue URI (unconventional prefoldin RPB5-interactor) are members of the prefoldin (PFD) family of ATP-independent molecular chaperones binding the Rpb5 subunit to all three nuclear eukaryotic RNA polymerases (RNA pols). Bud27/URI are considered to function as a scaffold protein able to assemble additional members of the prefoldin (PDF) family in both human and yeast. Bud27 and URI are not subunits of the canonical PFD/GimC complex and not only the composition but also other functions independent of the PFD/GimC complex have been described for Bud27 and URI. Bud27 interacts only with Pfd6 but no other components of the R2TP/PFDL. Furthermore previously reported interaction between Bud27 and Pfd2 was not later confirmed. These results point to major differences in the prefoldin-like complex composition between yeast and other organisms, suggesting also important differences in functions. Furthermore, this assumption could be extended to the R2TP/PFDL complex, which has been shown to differ between different organisms and has not been identified in yeast. This casts doubt on whether Bud27 cooperation with prefoldin and other components of the R2TP/PFDL modules are required for its action. This could be extended to URI and point to a role of Bud27/URI in cell functions more relevant than this previously proposed as co-prefoldin.
KeywordsTranscription RNA polymerases Rpb5 Prefoldin-like Bud27 RNA polymerases assembly Saccharomyces cerevisiae Chromatin remodeler TOR pathway Ribosome biogenesis
This work has been supported by grants from the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, MINECO, and FEDER funds (BFU2016-77728-C3-2-P AEI-FEDER to F.) and Junta de Andalucía (BIO258).
V.M.F was recipient of a fellowship from Junta de Andalucía and a postdoctoral fellowship from the Junta de Andalucía-University of Jaén. A.I.G-G was a recipient of MEC and a postdoctoral fellowship from the University of Jaén. A C-B.is a recipient of a FPI predoctoral contract from MINECO.
- Boulon S, Bertrand E, Pradet-Balade B (2012) HSP90 and the R2TP co-chaperone complex: building multi-protein machineries essential for cell growth and gene expression. RNA Biol 1:9(2)Google Scholar
- Forget D, Lacombe AA, Cloutier P, Al-Khoury R, Bouchard A, Lavallee-Adam M et al (2010) The protein interaction network of the human transcription machinery reveals a role for the conserved GTPase RPAP4/GPN1 and microtubule assembly in nuclear import and biogenesis of RNA polymerase II. Mol Cell Proteomics 9(12):2827–2839CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gomez-Navarro N, Estruch F (2015) Different pathways for the nuclear import of yeast RNA polymerase II. Biochim Biophys ActaGoogle Scholar
- Martínez-Fernández V, Garrido-Godino AI, Cuevas-Bermudez A, Navarro F, eds (2015) Cytoplasmic and Nuclear Functionsfor the Prefoldin-like URI/Bud27. Nova Science Publishers, IncGoogle Scholar
- Mirón-García MC, Garrido-Godino AI, Martínez-Fernández V, Fernández-Pevida A, Cuevas-Bermúdez A, Martín-Expósito M et al (2014) The yeast prefoldin-like URI-orthologue Bud27 associates with the RSC nucleosome remodeler and modulates transcription. Nucleic Acids Res 42(15):9666–9676CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Van Leuven F, Torrekens S, Moechars D, Hilliker C, Buellens M, Bollen M et al (1998) Molecular cloning of a gene on chromosome 19q12 coding for a novel intracellular protein: analysis of expression in human and mouse tissues and in human tumor cells, particularly reed–Sternberg cells in Hodgkin disease. Genomics 54(3):511–520CrossRefGoogle Scholar