Chronic Lunotriquetral Ligament Injuries: Arthrodesis or Capsulodesis
Lunotriquetral ligament ruptures were treated by arthrodesis or ligament reconstruction. The outcomes were retrospectively reviewed: 17 underwent an arthrodesis and 13 a reconstruction with a strip of the extensor retinaculum.
In the arthrodesis group, nine were not satisfied – complications and reoperations were numerous – and eight developed a pseudarthrosis.
In the reconstruction group, eight were satisfied, five were not. Complications were less frequent and less severe.
- 2.Guidera P, Dwyer T, Orlando G, Zeppieri J, Yasuda M (2002) Lunotriquetral arthrodesis using cancellous bone grafts. J Hand Surg 26A:422–427Google Scholar
- 3.Kirchenbaum D, Coyle M, Leddy JP (1993) Chronic lunotriquetral instability: diagnosis and treatment. J Hand Surg 18A:1107–1112Google Scholar
- 4.McAuliffe J, Dell P, Jaffe R (1993) Complications of intercarpal arthrodesis. J Hand Surg 18A:1121–1127Google Scholar
- 5.Nelson D, Manske P, Pruitt D, Martin R (1993) Lunotriquetral arthrodesis. J Hand Surg 18A:1113–1120Google Scholar
- 6.Pin P, Young V, Gilula L, Weeks P (1989) Management of chronic lunotriquetral ligament tears. J Hand Surg 14A:77–83Google Scholar
- 7.Reajan D, Linscheid R, Dobyns J (1984) Lunotriquetral sprains. J Hand Surg 9A:502–514Google Scholar
- 8.Ritt M, Linscheid R, Cooney W, Berger R, An K (1998) The lunotriquetral joint: kinematic effects of sequential ligament section, ligament repair and arthrodesis. J Hand Surg 23A:432–445Google Scholar
- 9.Sennwald G, Fischer M, Mondi P (1995) Lunotriquetral arthrodesis: a controversial arthrodesis. Hand Surg 20B:755–760Google Scholar
- 10.Sennwald G, Fischer M, Zdravkovic V (1996) The value of arthroscopy in the evaluation of carpal instability. Bull Hosp Joint Dis 54:186–189Google Scholar
- 11.Shin A, Weinstein L, Berger R, Bishop A (2000) Treatment of isolated injuries of the lunotriquetral ligament. J Hand Surg 83B:1023–1028Google Scholar
- 12.Vandesande W, De Smet L, Van Ransbeeck H (2002) Lunotriquetral arthrodesis, a procedure with a high failure rate. Acta Orthop Belg 67:361–367Google Scholar