Hyperacusis and Disorders of Loudness Perception
- David M. BaguleyAffiliated withCambridge University Hospitals Email author
- , Don J. McFerran
There are several forms of loudness perception disorder.
The terminology of such disorders is often confused.
The most commonly used terms in an audiological context are hyperacusis, denoting a generalized reduced tolerance for sound, as well as phonophobia, denoting a fear of sounds.
The majority of people with a loudness perception disorder also have tinnitus. Just under one half of individuals with tinnitus also describe some degree of loudness perception disorder.
There are few rigorous studies regarding the epidemiology of loudness perception disorders; the true prevalence of hyperacuis and phonophobia remains a matter of conjecture.
Some loudness perception disorders are associated with disorders of facial nerve function with consequent loss of the acoustic reflex. Most cases have no such association and the underlying pathological mechanism is unclear.
Various management strategies have been suggested, including the use of tinnitus therapies, with or without the use of sound therapy, and psychological therapies.
KeywordsTinnitus Hyperacusis Hypersensitivity Loudness discomfort Migraine
- Hyperacusis and Disorders of Loudness Perception
- Book Title
- Textbook of Tinnitus
- Book Part
- Part I
- pp 13-23
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Loudness discomfort
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences, The University of Texas at Dallas
- 2. Department of Psychiatry Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, University of Regensburg
- 3. BRAI2N/TRI Tinnitus Clinic and Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Antwerp
- 4. Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Regensburg
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Cambridge University Hospitals, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.