Chemoembolization with Drug-Eluting Beads
Primary hepatic carcinoma remains a relatively uncommon disease in North America and Western Europe (0.5–2.0% of all cancers) [1, 2]. However it remains a much larger fraction (20–40%) in developing countries and is the 5th–6th most common malignancy worldwide (approximately 5.6% of all cancers) [3, 4]. Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is the most common primary malignancy of the liver (70–85%) with an estimated 500 thousand to 1 million new cases annually and an associated mortality of approximately 600,000 [3, 5]. Recent studies in the USA have shown that the incidence of HCC is increasing, most likely related to chronic HCV infection .
KeywordsLiver-directed therapy Chemoembolization Drug-eluting bead Doxorubicin Hepatocellular
- 22.Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA et al (2000) New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst 92:205–216CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Choi H, Charnsangavej C, Faria SC et al (2007) Correlation of computed tomography and positron emission tomography in patients with metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumor treated at a single institution with imatinib mesylate: proposal of new computed tomography response criteria. J Clin Oncol 25:1753–1759CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Lammer J (2009) Evidence for Drug-Eluting Bead, initial data release from a 212 patient international, multicentre, prospective randomised controlled trial of doxorubicin in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma by drug-eluting bead embolisation. 2008. Oral presentation, Plenary session, Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe annual meeting, 15th Sept 2009 CopenhagenGoogle Scholar
- 28.Nicolini A, Crespi S, Martinetti L (2007) TAE vs precision TACE in patients in the transplant waiting list. Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe October 18th 2007 MilanGoogle Scholar
- 29.Goffette P (2008) Drug-eluting beads in the management of hepatocellular carcinoma prior to liver transplantation. European Conference of Interventional Oncology, Florence, Italy, April 12, 2008.Google Scholar