Androgen Deprivation and Radiation Therapy for Localized Prostate Cancer
- 138 Downloads
The combination of hormonal therapy (HT) with radiation therapy (RT) to treat localized prostate cancer, particularly locally advanced prostate cancers, has substantially increased in recent years. The optimal use of HT, which is constantly expanding, is still to be determined. Fortunately, multiple prospective studies performed since the 1980s have shed some light on many questions related to the use of HT in combination with RT. This chapter reviews the data and the findings from these prospective studies, although relevant retrospective data are also discussed.
KeywordsProstate Cancer Radiat Oncol Biol Phys Localize Prostate Cancer Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Adjuvant Hormonal Therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Consensus statement: guidelines for PSA following radiation therapy. American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Consensus Panel. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1997;37:1035–1041.Google Scholar
- 6.Lawton CA, Winter K, Murray K, et al. Updated results of the phase III Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) trial 85–31 evaluating the potential benefit of androgen suppression following standard radiation therapy for unfavorable prognosis carcinoma of the prostate. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001; 49: 937–946.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Buchsbaum J, Elshaikh M, Kupelian P, et al. Improvement in relapse-free survival throughout the PSA era in patients with localized prostate cancer treated with definitive radiotherapy: year of treatment is an independent predictor of outcome. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001; 51; 169: 169.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Soloway MS, Sharifi R, Wajsman Z, et al. Randomized prospective study comparing radical prostatectomy alone versus radical prostatectomy preceded by androgen blockade in clinical stage B2 (T2bNxM0) prostate cancer. The Lupron Depot Neoadjuvant Prostate Cancer Study Group. J Urol 1995; 154: 424–428.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Gleave ME, Goldenberg SL, Chin JL, et al. Randomized comparative study of 3 versus 8-month neoadjuvant hormonal therapy before radical prostatectomy: biochemical and pathological effects. J Urol 2001;166:500–506; discussion 506–507.Google Scholar
- 26.Shipley WU, Lu JD, Pilepich MV, et al. Effect of a short course of neoadjuvant hormonal therapy on the response to subsequent androgen suppression in prostate cancer patients with relapse after radiotherapy: a secondary analysis of the randomized protocol RTOG 86–10. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002; 54: 1302–1310.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar