Vaccines for Other Tumors
Although the brain is often considered an immunologically privileged site, animal models have demonstrated immunity against brain tumors following peripheral immunizations (1), direct intracerebral injections (2), or both (3). Potential targets of immunity against gliomas include the antigens ADP-ribosylation factor 4-like (ARF4L) (4), S ART 1 (5) and SART3 (6), UDP-Gal: 3G1cNAc ß1, 3-galactosyltransferase, polypeptide 3 (7), and the vIII mutation of human epidermal growth factor receptor. Although the autoimmune condition, experimental allergic encephalomyelitis, is a theoretical risk for immunizations with central nervous system (CNS) antigens, it is believed that the use of tumor-specific antigens will limit this risk.
KeywordsHuman Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma Experimental Allergic Encephalomyelitis Medullary Thyroid Cancer Parathyroid Carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Tsuda N, Nonaka Y, Shichijo S, Yamada A, Ito M, Maeda Y, et al. UDP-Gal: betaGlcNAc betal , 3-galactosyltransferase, polypeptide 3 (GALT3) is a tumour antigen recognised by HLA-A2-restricted cytotoxic T lymphocytes from patients with brain tumour. Br J Cancer 2002; 87:1006–1012.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Maio M, Coral S, Sigalotti L, Elisei R, Romei C, Rossi G, Cortini E, Colizzi F, Fenzi G, Altomonte M, Pinchera A, Vitale M. Analysis of cancer/testis antigens in sporadic medullary thyroid carcinoma: expression and humoral response to NY-ESO-1. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003; 88:748–754.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Lausson S, Fournes B, Borrel C, Milhaud G, Treilhou-Lahille F. Immune response against medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) induced by parental and/or interleukin-2-secreting MTC cells in a rat model of human familial medullary thyroid carcinoma. Cancer Immunol Immunother 1996; 43:116–123.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Rousseau RF, Haight AE, Hirschmann-Jax C, Yvon ES, Rill DR, Mei Z, et al. Local and systemic effects of an allogeneic tumor cell vaccine combining transgenic human lymphotactin with interleukin-2 in patients with advanced or refractory neuroblastoma. Blood 2003; 101:1718–1726.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Lin CL, Lo WF, Lee TH, Ren Y, Hwang SL, Cheng YF, et al. Immunization with Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) peptide-pulsed dendritic cells induces functional CD8+ T-cell immunity and may lead to tumor regression in patients with EBV-positive nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Res 2002; 62:6952–6958.PubMedGoogle Scholar