Every physician who provides care to female patients is regularly consulted to evaluate and treat symptoms of pelvic discomfort. These include everything from mild irritation and burning to deep visceral pain. The assessment of the undifferentiated patient with pelvic pain or discomfort calls for an organized system-by-system approach guided by the interview and physical exam findings. Women suffering from bladder pain syndrome or interstitial cystitis (IC/BPS) are frequently among patients presenting with pelvic pain or discomfort. Successful early identification of this subgroup of patients among pelvic pain sufferers is key to mitigating the adverse quality of life impact of bladder pain syndrome (formerly interstitial cystitis).
Keywords360 degree pelvic examination Bladder pain Dyspareunia Hematuria Interstitial cystitis Overactive bladder Painful bladder syndrome Pelvic pain Pentosan polysulfate PUF questionnaire Vestibulitis Vulvodynia
- 2.Clemens JQ, Joyce GF, Wise M, Payne C. Interstitial cystitis and painful bladder syndrome. In: Litwin MS, Saigal CS, editors. Urologic diseases in America. Washington: US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; 2007. p. 123.Google Scholar
- 4.Stowe SP, Redmond SR, Stormont JM, Shah AN, Chessin LN, Segal HL, Chey WY. Gastroenterology. An epidemiologic study of inflammatory bowel disease in Rochester, New York. Hosp Incidence. 1990;98(1):104–10.Google Scholar
- 8.Minaglia S, Ozel B, Bizhang R, Mishell DR Jr. Interstitial cystitis in women with detrusor overactivity refractory to anticholinergic therapy. Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California. Urology. 2005;66:702–6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Hanno PM, Burks DA, Clemens JQ, Dmochowski RR, Erickson D, Fitzgerald MP, Forrest JB, Gordon B, Gray M, Mayer RD, Newman D, Nyberg L Jr, Payne CK, Wesselmann U, Faraday MM. Interstitial Cystitis Guidelines Panel of the American Urological Association Education and Research, Inc., AUA guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome. J Urol. 2011;185(6):2162–70.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Cox M, Klutke JJ, Klutke CG. Assessment of patient outcomes following submucosal injection of triamcinolone for treatment of Hunner’s ulcer subtype interstitial cystitis. Can J Urol. 2009; 16:4536.Google Scholar