Urodynamics Equipment: Selection and Training
Urodynamics (UDS) is an important diagnostic tool for urologists and urogynecologists who treat lower urinary tract dysfunction and pelvic floor dysfunction. Multiple manufacturers supply UDS systems that range in functionality and cost. Given the wide array of commercially available options, there is an appropriate UDS system to suit each clinical practice. In addition to the price of the UDS system, there are additional costs to consider, such as disposable components and a fluoroscopy unit if fluoroscopic UDS is desired. Once a UDS room or portable UDS unit has been outfitted, a number of different resources are available for UDS training. Training options exist for both novice and advanced UDS staff.
KeywordsInternational Continence Society Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction Pressure Flow Study Fluoroscopy Unit Female Pelvic Medicine
Electronic medical record
International Continence Society
Lower urinary tract
Intra-abdominal pressure (cm H2O)
Detrusor pressure (cm H2O)
Vesical (bladder) pressure (cm H2O)
Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine, and Urogenital Reconstruction
Society of Urologic Nurses and Associates
Urinary tract infection
- 1.Urodynamics Equipment and Disposables Market to Reach $170 Million by 2015 [Internet] 23 June 2009 [cited 19 September 2013]. http://www.prweb.com/releases/urodynamics_equipment/urodynamics_disposables/prweb2534634.htm.
- 4.Laborie urodynamics [cited 29 September 2013]. http://www.laborie.com/products/urodynamics/.
- 5.Cooper Surgical urodynamic system [cited 29 September 2013]. http://www.coopersurgical.com/ourproducts/incontinence/urosys/Pages/cslnd.aspx?LC=UrodynamicSystem.
- 8.Stille Sonesta model program [cited 29 September 2013]. http://www.stille.se/sonesta/model-range-summary/.
- 9.Marks BK, Vasavada SP, Goldman HB. Contrast concentration does not alter fluoro-urodynamic interpretation. Abstract presented at: Annual meeting of the American Urological Association, San Diego, 4–8 May 2013.Google Scholar
- 10.Urodynamics curriculum for urology residents [cited 5 October 2013]. http://elearning.sufuorg.com/.
- 11.Society of Urologic Nurses and Associates online store [cited 5 October 2013]. http://www.suna.org/resources/suna-store.
- 12.Schafer W, Kirschner-Hermans R, Jakse G. Non-invasive pressure/flow measurement for precise grading of bladder outflow obstruction. J Urol. 1994;151(suppl):323A.Google Scholar