Fiber-Optical 3D Shape Sensing
- 1.7k Downloads
Fiber Bragg grating (FBG) technology is well known since more than three decades. It started in 1978 with the discovery of photosensitivity in optical fibers by Ken Hill et al.  when illuminating germanium-doped silica fibers with visible argon ion laser radiation. In this context, first periodic refractive index variation was introduced into the core of such special optical fibers. However, for nearly one decade, there was found no real application of these fundamental observations. The major breakthrough for Bragg gratings came in 1988 with the report on holographic writing applying single-photon absorption in the ultraviolet by Metz et al. . They demonstrated reflection gratings using two interfering laser beams imaged into the fiber core. This was the starting point for several applications of FBGs ranging from reflection gratings used in telecommunication, high reflectivity end reflectors in fiber lasers, or sensor applications for monitoring mechanical strain and temperature.
KeywordsFemtosecond Laser Fiber Bragg Grating Fiber Core Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor Sensor Plane
This work was partly supported by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research under the contract 13N12524.
- 5.R.J. Roesthuis, M. Kemp, J.J. van den Dobbelsteen, S. Misra, Three-dimensional needle shape reconstruction using an array of fiber Bragg grating sensors (2013 accepted)Google Scholar
- 8.R. Kashyap, Fiber Bragg Gratings, 2nd edn. (Academic, Burlington, 2010)Google Scholar
- 9.J. Burgmeier, W. Schippers, N. Emde, P. Funken, W. Schade, Femtosecond laser-inscribed fiber Bragg gratings for strain monitoring in power cables of offshore wind turbines. Appl. Opt. 50(13), 2011 (1868–1872)Google Scholar
- 10.J. Burgmeier, Erzeugung periodischer brechzahlmodulationen in glasfasern mit femtosekundenlaserpulsen und deren anwendung, Graduate thesis, Clausthal University of Technology (CUT), 2013Google Scholar
- 13.A. Othonos, K. Kalli, Fiber Bragg Gratings: Fundamentals and Applications in Telecommunications and Sensing (Artech House, Boston, 1999)Google Scholar
- 17.R. Kashyap, P.F. McKee, D. Armes, UV written reflection grating structures in photosensitive optical fibres using phase-shifted phase masks. Electron. Lett. 30(23), 1994 (1977–1978)Google Scholar
- 22.Y. Xinhua, Q. Jinwu, S. Linyong, Z. Yanan, Z. Zhen, An innovative 3D colonoscope shape sensing sensor based on FBG sensor array, in International Conference on Information Acquisition, Korea, 2007, pp. 227–232Google Scholar