Optimizing the Design of Water Distribution Networks Using Mathematical Optimization
Decaying infrastructure in municipalities is becoming a problem of increasing importance as growing populations put increasing stress on all service systems. In tough economic times, renewing and maintaining infrastructure has become increasingly difficult. As an example, many municipal water networks were installed several decades ago and were designed to handle much smaller demand and additionally have decayed due to age. This chapter discusses an efficient approach for the problem of replacing all the pipes using the same network topology, at minimum cost, to achieve current pressure demands at junctions of the network.
KeywordsHydraulic Head Pressure Head Mixed Integer Linear Programming Head Loss Water Distribution Network
- 1.Beale, E. M. L., & Tomlin, J. A. (1970). Special facilities in a general mathematical programming system for non-convex problems using ordered sets of variables. In J. Lawrence, editor, Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on Operations Research, pages 447–454Google Scholar
- 2.Bonami, P., Biegler, L. T., Conn, A. R., Cornuéjols, G., Grossmann, I. E., Laird, C. D., Lee, J., Lodi, A., Margot, F., Sawaya, N., & Wächter, A (2008). An algorithmic framework for convex mixed integer nonlinear programs. Discrete Optimization, 5:186–204Google Scholar
- 3.Bonmin. https://projects.coin-or.org/Bonmin, v. 1.0.
- 4.Bragalli, C., D’Ambrosio, C., Lee, J., Lodi, A., & Toth, P (2012). On the optimal design of water distribution networks: a practical minlp approach. Optimization and Engineering, 13:219–246Google Scholar
- 5.Fourer, R., Gay, D. M., & Kernighan., B. W. (2003). A Modeling Language for Mathematical Programming. Duxbury Press/Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., second editionGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ipopt. https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt, v. 3.5.
- 8.Lee, J., & Leyffer, S. (2012). Mixed Integer Nonlinear Programming. The IMA Volumes in Mathematics and its Applications. SpringerGoogle Scholar
- 9.Mathematica. www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/index.html, v. 7.0.
- 10.Van Den Boomen, M., Van Mazijk, A., & Beuken, R. H. S. (2004). First evaluation of new design concepts for self-cleaning distribution networks. Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology AQUA, 53(1), 43–50Google Scholar