Organizing National Elections in India to Elect the 543 Members of the Lok Sabha
With an electorate of 717 million in 2009, 1.3 million electronic voting machines deployed in 834000 polling stations spread across the length and breadth of India, to elect 543 members of the Lok Sabha from among 8000 candidates contesting the elections, the General Elections in India held once every 5 years, is the world’s biggest election exercise. The responsibility for conducting these elections vests in the Election Commission of India. This chapter discusses the various decision making problems that they face in its organization, and efficient algorithms used to solve them.
KeywordsPolling Station Sink Node Hamiltonian Path Social Entrepreneur Nicobar Island
- 1.Scharff, M. Policing election day: Vulnerability mapping in India 2006–2009. http://www.princeton.edu/successfulsocieties/content/data/policy_note/PN_id173/Policy_Note_ID173.txt. Accessed 6 Nov 2011
- 2.National Crime Records Bureau. (2010). Crime in India 2009 statistics. New Delhi: NCRB (Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India).Google Scholar
- 3.Stefan Harrendorf, M. H. (2010). International statistics on crime and justice. Helsinki: European Institute for Crime Prevention & Control (HEUNI).Google Scholar
- 4.Bureau of Police Research & Development. Data on police organizations 2009. BPRD (Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India). http://www.bprd.nic.in/index3.asp?sslid=547&subsublinkid=204&lang=1. Accessed 6 Nov 2011.
- 5.Election Commission of India. (2009). Lok Sabha election 2009—Reinforcing Indian democracy. New Delhi: Election Commission of India.Google Scholar
- 6.Murty, K. G. (1992). Network Programming. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall. http://ioe.engin.umich.edu/people/fac/books/murty/network_programming/.
- 7.Google. Google Maps. http://maps.google.co.in. Accessed 2 Oct 2011
- 8.iTouchMap.com. Latitude and longitude of a point. http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html. Accessed 2 Oct 2011
- 9.The Airport Authority. Every airport, everywhere. http://airport-authority.com/. Accessed 8 Nov 2011