Addressing the Peak Power Problem Through Thermal Energy Storage
In the United States, the electrical power grid is divided into three primary regions: the Western Interconnection, the Eastern Interconnection, and the Texas Interconnection. Each of these regions struggles with peak power issues, but this case study will focus on the Texas Interconnection, which is operated by the Electricity Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT).This chapter discusses the opportunity to shift one of the largest electricity loads (air-conditioning) from the expensive aftrenoon peak to the cheaper nighttime hours using Thermal Energy Storage (TES), which is used for storing “cooling” in the form of chilled wate, and outlines a model for finding an optimal design for it.
KeywordsCash Flow Electricity Price Sequential Quadratic Programming Payback Period Thermal Energy Storage
- 1.Dorgan, C. E., & Elleson, J. S. (1993) Design guide for cool thermal storage. Atlanta: ASHRAE.Google Scholar
- 4.Roth, K., Zogg, R., & Brodrick, J. (2006). Cool thermal energy storage. ASHRAE Journal, 48, 94–96.Google Scholar
- 6.Cole, W. J., Powell, K. M., & Edgar, T. F. (2012) Optimization and advanced control of thermal energy storage systems. Reviews in Chemical Engineering, 28(2–3), 81–99.Google Scholar
- 7.Dinçer, İ., & Rosen, M. (2011). Thermal energy storage: Systems and applications (2nd ed.). Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 9.Cole, W. J., Edgar, T. F., & Novoselac, A. (2012) Use of model predictive control to enhance the flexibility of thermal energy storage cooling systems. In Proceedings of the 2012 American Control Conference, Montreal, Canada, pp. 2788–2793.Google Scholar
- 10.DOE (2013) Building technologies office: EnergyPlus energy simulation software, 2013 (Online). http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/. Accessed 13 Sept 2013.
- 11.Hydeman, M., Webb, N., Sreedharan, P., & Blanc, S. (2002) Development and testing of a reformulated regression-based electric chiller model. ASHRAE Transactions, 108(2), 1118–1127.Google Scholar
- 12.de Wit, J. (2007) Heat storages for CHP optimisation. In Proceedings of the Power Gen Europe 2007 Paper (ID-94).Google Scholar