Programs over Finite Semigroups: An Introduction
- 242 Downloads
The notion of a program over a finite semigroup has recently emerged from the work of D.A. Barrington on bounded-width branching programs , , and the joint work of D.A. Barrington and D. Thérien , . These authors introduced programs over semigroups under the name of “non-uniform deterministic finite automata (NUDFA)”, and they studied the potential programs have in terms of recognizability of certain languages that are commonly treated in complexity theory by using families of Boolean circuits.
KeywordsBoolean Function Semi Group Finite Semigroup Polynomial Size Boolean Circuit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D.A. Barrington, Bounded-width polynomial-size branching programs recognize exactly those languages in NC 1, Proc. 18th A.C.M.S.T.O.C, 1986, 1-5.Google Scholar
- D.A. Barrington, Bounded-width polynomial-size branching programs, Ph. D. thesis, M.I.T. May 1986 (Technical report TR-361, M.I.T. Lab. for Comp.Sc).Google Scholar
- D.A. Barrington and D. Thérien, Non-uniform automata over groups, Proc. 14th I.C.A.L.P. 1987.Google Scholar
- D.A. Barrington and D. Thérien, Finite monoids and the fine structure of NC 1, Proc. 19th A.C.M.S.T.O.C, 1987, 101-107, see also J.A.C.M. 35 (4) 1988, 941-952.Google Scholar
- M. Furst, J.B. Saxe and M. Sipser, Parity, circuits, and the polynomial-time hierarchy, Math. Systems Th. 17,1984, 13-27.Google Scholar
- R. Smolensky, Algebraic methods in the theory of lower bounds for Boolean circuit complexity, Proc. 19th A.C.M.S.T.O.C. 1987, 77-82.Google Scholar
- H. Straubing, A note on non-uniform automata over groups (preprint), Boston College, Dept. of Comp. Sci., April 1987.Google Scholar
- D. Thérien, Programs over aperiodic monoids (preprint), McGill Univ. School of Comp. Sci.Google Scholar
- D. Thérien, P. Péladeau, Sur les langages reconnus par des groupes nilpotents (preprint), McGill Univ. School of Comp. Sci.Google Scholar