Separation of charge into double layers is a common occurrence at a solid surface. At times the phenomenon can be interpreted simply in terms of two plane sheets of charge. On a metal with an adsorbed layer of oxygen, where the oxygen has a large negative partial charge and the surface layer of the metal an equal and opposite positive charge, the system can be viewed to a good first approximation as such a double layer, here composed of two parallel charged planes, as sketched on the left in Figure 2.1. If an insulating oxide layer grows between the positively charged metal and the now ionosorbed oxygen ions, the separation of the two sheets of charge becomes greater, but to a reasonable approximation, with a coherent uncharged oxide, the configuration can still be viewed as two planar sheets of charge.
KeywordsDouble Layer Surface State Space Charge Fermi Energy Space Charge Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References for Chapter 2
- 1.A. Many, Y. Goldstein, and N. B. Grover, Semiconductor Surfaces ( Interscience, New York, 1965 ).Google Scholar
- 2.D. R. Frankl, Electrical Properties of Semiconductor Surfaces ( Pergamon, London, 1967 ).Google Scholar
- 6.J. A. Stratton, Electromagnetic Theory ( McGraw-Hill, New York, 1971 ).Google Scholar
- 9.D. H. Lindley and P. C. Banbury, J. Phys. Chem. Solids 15, 200 (1959).Google Scholar
- 10.A. E. Yunovich, in Surface Properties of Semiconductors, p. 88, edited by E. N. Frumkin ( Consultants Bureau, New York, 1964 ).Google Scholar
- 12.S. R. Morrison, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. 7, 84 (1970).Google Scholar
- 17.S. G. Christov, Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 79, 357 (1975).Google Scholar
- 18.H. Gerischer, in Vol. 1 of Advances in Electrochemistry and Electrochemical Engineering, p. 139, edited by P. Delahay ( Interscience, New York, 1961 ).Google Scholar
- 19.J. M. Hale, in Reactions of Molecules at Electrodes, p. 229, edited by N. S. Hush ( Wiley, London, 1971 ).Google Scholar
- 20.R. Menuning and F. Moellers, Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 76, 475 (1972).Google Scholar