Photoluminescence of Strained-Layer Quantum Well Structures Under High Hydrostatic Pressure
- 140 Downloads
The photoluminescence of quantum-well structures, under high hydrostatic pressure, has been studied. An argon-loaded miniature diamond-anvil cell, which readily generates pressures in the region 0 to 200kbar, has been employed for this purpose. Structures containing strained layers are currently of great interest and are concentrated on here. High pressure techniques for determining the heterojunction band line-ups, with spectroscopic accuracy, are described. Recent results on the InGaAs/AlGaAs and GaAsSb/GaAs strained systems are discussed.
The pressure coefficients of bulk semiconductors and more recently of low dimensional structures have been reported in the literature. There is now considerable evidence that compressively strained layers exhibit pressure coefficients which are lower than expected. The influence of higher-order elastic constants and strain-dependent deformation potentials have been considered but do not adequately describe the data. This behaviour therefore remains anomalous.
KeywordsPressure Coefficient High Hydrostatic Pressure Indium Content Band Alignment Strained Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. R. Adams, Hydrostatic pressure investigation of quantum well optoelectronic devices, in: “Frontiers of High Pressure Research” H. D. Hochheimer and R. D. Etters, eds., Plenum (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.W. Paul and D. M. Warschauer, The role of pressure in semiconductor research, in: “Solids Under Pressure”, W. Paul and D. M. Warschauer, eds., McGraw-Hill, New York (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.R. J. Warburton, R. J. Nicholas, N. J. Mason, P. J. Walker, A. D. Prins and D. J. Dunstan, High-pressure investigation of GaSb and Ga1−xInxSb/GaSb quantum wells, Phvs. Rev. B43:4994 (1991).Google Scholar
- 6.D. J. Wolford, T. F. Keuch, J. A. Bradley, M. A. Gell, D. Ninno and M. Jaros, Pressure dependence of GaAs/AlxGa1−xAs quantum well bound states: The determination of valence band offsets, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B4:1043 (1986).Google Scholar
- 7.U. Venkateswaren, M. Chandrasekhar, H. R. Chandrasekhar, B. A. Vojak, F. A. Chambers and J. M. Meese, High pressure studies of GaAs/Ga1−xAlxAs quantum wells of widths 26Å to 150Å, Phvs. Rev. B33:8416 (1986).Google Scholar
- 15.G. Bastard, Superlattice band structure in the envelope function approximation, Phvs. Rev. B24:5693 (1981).Google Scholar
- 16.P. Lefebvre, B. Gil and H. Mathieu, Effect of hydrostatic pressure on GaAs-AlxGa1−xAs microstructures, Phys. Rev. B35:5630 (1987).Google Scholar
- 17.K. J. Moore, P. Dawson and C. T. Foxon, Observation of luminescence from the 2S heavy-hole exciton in GaAs-(AlGa)As quantum-well structures at low temperature, Phvs. Rev. B34:6022 (1986).Google Scholar
- 19.H. Muller, R. Trommer, M. Cardona and P. Vogl, Pressure dependence of the direct absorption edge of InP, Phys. Rev. B21:4879 (1980).Google Scholar
- 20.A. R. Goni, K. Strossner, K. Syassen and M. Cardona, Pressure dependence of direct and indirect optical absorption in GaAs, Phys. Rev. B36:1582 (1987).Google Scholar
- 21.H. Q. Hou, L. J. Wang, R. M. Tang and J. M. Zhou, Pressure dependence of photoluminescence in InxGa1−xAs/GaAs strained quantum wells, Phys. Rev. B42:2926 (1990).Google Scholar
- 23.G. Ji, S. Agarwala, D. Huang, J. Chyi and H. Morkoc, Band lineup in GaAs1−xSbx/GaAs strained-layer multiple quantum wells grown by molecular beam epitaxy, Phys. Rev. B38:10571 (1988).Google Scholar
- 24.A. D. Prins, J. D. Lambkin, E. P. O’Reilly, A. R. Adams, R. Pritchard, W. S. Truscott and K. E. Singer, Band Offsets in GaAsSb/GaAs strained-layer structures from high-pressure photoluminescence, Proc. IVth Conf. on ‘High Pressure in_ Semiconductor Physics’. Porto Caras, 933 (1990).Google Scholar
- 25.C. G. Van de Walle, Band lineups and deformation potentials in the Model-Solid theory, Phys. Rev. B39:1871 (1989).Google Scholar
- 28.M. Chandrasekhar, U. Venkateswaren, H. R. Chandrasekhar, B. A. Vojak, F. A. Chambers and J. M. Meese, Proc. XV11th Int. Conf. on the physics of semiconductors. Stockholm (1986).Google Scholar
- 30.V. A. Wilkinson, A. D. Prins, J. D. Lambkin, E. P. O’Reilly, L. K. Howard and M.T. Emeny, Hydrostatic pressure coefficients of the photoluminescence of InxGa1–xAs/GaAs strained-layer quantum wells, Phvs. Rev. B42:3113 (1990).Google Scholar
- 31.Y. F. Tsay, S. S. Mitra and B. Bendow, Pressure dependence of energy gaps and refractive indices of tetrahedrally bonded semiconductors, Phvs. Rev. B10: 1476 (1974).Google Scholar
- 33.A. D. Prins, Private communication, (1991).Google Scholar