Computer Modeling of Heterogeneous β-Cell Populations
- 117 Downloads
How does the islet synchronize? Are the reported size and density of gap junctional connections adequate to produce synchrony?
What is the role of cell heterogeneity? Is it important for building the graded response to glucose or merely an obstacle that must be overcome in order to achieve coordinated behavior?
Does glucose increase insulin secretion by recruiting more cells (Pipeleers, 1992) into activity or by increasing the output of each cell (Beigelman et al., 1977)?
How is the oscillatory activity of the islet generated in the absence of a pacemaker?
KeywordsElectrical Activity Pancreatic Islet Electrical Coupling Current Clamp Coupling Conductance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beigelman, P. M., Ribalet, A., and Atwater, I., 1977, Electrical activity of mouse pancreatic beta-cells, J. Physiol. (Paris) 73:201.Google Scholar
- Eddlestone, G. T., Gonçalves, A., Bangham, J. A., and Rojas, E., 1984, Electrical coupling between cells in islets of Langerhans in mouse, J. Membr. Biol. 11:1.Google Scholar
- Meda, P., Bosco, D., Giordano, E., and Chanson, M., 1991, Junctional coupling modulation by secretagogues in two-cell pancreatic systems, in: “Biophysics of Gap Junction Channels,” C. Peracchia, ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton.Google Scholar
- Rinzel, J., 1987, A formal classification of bursting mechanisms in excitable systems, in: “Mathematical Topics in Population Biology, Morphogenesis, and Neurosciences,” Teramoto, E., and Yamaguti, M., eds., Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Satin, L., and Smolen, P., Electrical bursting in β-cells of the pancreatic islets of Langerhans, Endocrine J. in press.Google Scholar
- Sherman, A., 1995, Theoretical aspects of synchronized bursting in β-cells, in: Pacemaker Activity and Intercellular Communication, J. D. Huizinga, ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, pages 323–337.Google Scholar
- Sherman, A., Xu L., and Stokes, C., Estimating and eliminating junctional current in coupled cell populations by leak subtraction. A computational study, Submitted to J. Membr. Biol. Google Scholar
- Smolen, P., and Sherman, A., Phase-independent resetting in relaxation and burst oscillators, J. Theo. Biol. 169:339.Google Scholar