Superfamily and Domain
In the mid 1970’s, Dayhoff proposed that all naturally occurring proteins would cluster into families and superfamilies whose members have diverged from common ancestral forms (Dayhoff et al., 1975; Dayhoff, 1976). A similar proposal was made by Emil Zuckerkandl (1975). Estimates of the number of protein superfamilies were in the low thousands. Recently this estimate has been reassessed. Using a variety of criteria for superfamily membership, estimates of the same order of magnitude as the original Dayhoff estimate have been reported (Green et al., 1993; Gonnet et al., 1992; Chothia, 1992).
KeywordsHomology Class Homology Domain Protein Sequence Database Sulfite Oxidase Orotate Phosphoribosyltransferase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barker, W.C., and Dayhoff, M.O. (1977) Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 57B, 309–315 Chothia, C. (1992) Nature 357, 543–544Google Scholar
- Dayhoff, M.O., Barker, W.C., and Hunt, L.T. (1976) in Atlas of Protein Sequence and Structure 1976, Vol. 5Google Scholar
- Suppl. 2, Dayhoff, M.O., ed., pp. 9–19, National Biomedical Research Foundation, Silver Spring, MD Dayhoff, M.O., McLaughlin, P.J., Barker, W.C., and Hunt, L.T. (1975) Naturwissenschaften 62, 154–161 Gonnet, G.H., Cohen, M.A., and Benner, S.A. (1992) Science 256, 1443–1445Google Scholar
- Green, P., Lipman, D., Hillier, L., Waterson, R., States, D., and Claverie, J.-M. (1993) Science 259, 1711–1716. Harris, N., Hunter, L., and States, D.J. (1992) in Proceedings of the Tenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-92), MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 837–842.Google Scholar
- Henikoff, S., and Henikoff, J.G. (1992) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 10915–10919Google Scholar
- Moncrief, N.D., Kretsinger, R.H., and Goodman, M. (1990) J. Mol. Evol. 30, 522–562Google Scholar
- Nakayama, S., Moncrief, N.D., and Kretsinger, R.H. (1992) J. Mol. Evol. 34, 416–448Google Scholar
- Pearson, W.R., and Lipman, D.J. (1988) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA 85, 2444–2448Google Scholar
- Sander, C., and Schneider, R. (1991) Proteins: Struct. Funct. Genet. 9, 56-–68Google Scholar
- States, D.J., Harris, N.L., and Hunter, L. (1993) in Proceedings: First International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology, AAAI Press, Menlo Park, CA, pp. 387–394Google Scholar
- Williams, A.F., and Barclay, A.N. (1988) Ann. Rev. Inununol. 6, 381–405Google Scholar
- Zuckerkandl, E. (1975) J. Mol. Evol. 7, 1–57Google Scholar