Although women doctors were a thriving and vocal group in the late nineteenth century, we do not know a lot about their personal lives and, in particular, their marriages. Indeed, many did not marry, tending instead to devote all of their time, energy, and nurturance to their patients and community service. In this century, and until the early 1970s, the numbers of women in medicine were very small; women doctors were excluded from virtually all in-depth studies of medical students, housestaff, office practice, and academic medicine.1 Publications on medical marriages focused entirely on male physicians and doctors’ wives.
KeywordsMedical Student Marital Conflict Academic Medicine Female Physician Role Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Merville O. Vincent, M. Margaret Hill, and M. Ruth Tatham, “The Physician’s Marriage, Husband, Family and Practice,” Ontario Medical Review (July 1976), 350-356.Google Scholar
- 7.Judith Lorber, Women Physicians: Career, Status, and Power (New York: Tavistock, 1984).Google Scholar
- 8.Carol C. Nadelson and Malkah T. Notman, “The Woman Physician’s Marriage,” in Medical Marriages, ed. Glen O. Gabbard and Roy W. Menninger (Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Press, 1988), 79–88.Google Scholar
- 14.Michael F. Myers, “Marital Issues for Women Physicians,” Annals of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada 19 (March 1986), 101–104.Google Scholar
- 15.Michael F. Myers, Men and Divorce (New York: Guilford, 1989), 50–51.Google Scholar
- 16.Michael F. Myers, “Treating Physicians with Psychotherapy,” Directions in Psychiatry 12 (June 26, 1992), 1–8.Google Scholar
- 17.Carol Gilligan, In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women’s Development (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1982).Google Scholar
- 21.David W. Krueger, Success and the Fear of Success in Women (New York: Free Press, 1984), 86–91.Google Scholar
- 22.Peggy Mclntosh, Feeling Like a Fraud (Work in Progress Series, Stone Center for Developmental Services and Studies, Wellesley, Mass.: Wellesley College, 1985).Google Scholar