The Archaeologist and the Crew
In this collection of humanistic memoirs, I am the junior contributor, and therefore my archaeological memoirs extend no further into the past than the mid-1950s. As I conjure those memories from the past, I find the richest moments focus on my crews who helped me do “my thing” of data collecting and question-asking on historic sites. I want to share some of those memories with you. First, however, I want to look at some of the reasons why I became an archaeologist searching for an understanding of the different ways people have lived. That takes me to my childhood in the mid-1930s. In this chapter I also want to share some of those memories as background for the time when I would become an archaeologist concerned with the way people lived in the past. My search for clues to the past has involved sites once occupied by Native Americans, Englishmen, Spaniards, and Frenchmen.
KeywordsChild Support Historical Archaeology Crew Member Historic Site Wild Cherry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Flayderman, Norm (editor), 1987, Flayderman’s Guide to Antique American Firearms...and Their Values. DBI Books, Inc., Northbrook, Illinois.Google Scholar
- Israel, Fred L. (editor), 1968 , 1897 Sears Roebuck Catalogue. Sears, Roebuck & Co., Chicago. 1968 facsimile ed. Chelsea House Publishers, New York.Google Scholar
- Rathje, William L., and Michael McCarthy, 1977, Regularity and Variability in Contemporary Garbage. In Research Strategies in Historical Archaeology, edited by Stanley South, pp. 261–286. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Schroeder, Joseph J., Jr. (editor), 1969 , 1908 Sears Roebuck Catalogue. Sears, Roebuck & Co., Chicago. 1969 facsimile ed. The Gun Digest Co., Chicago.Google Scholar
- South, Stanley, 1962, An Examination of the Bogue Inlet Fort on Russell’s Island. Ms. on file, North Carolina Department of Archives and History, Raleigh.Google Scholar
- South, Stanley, 1970, Exploratory Archaeology at Ninety Six. Research Manuscript Series 6. University of South Carolina, Columbia.Google Scholar
- South, Stanley, 1977a, Method and Theory in Historical Archaeology. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- South, Stanley, 1977b, Research Strategies in Historical Archaeology. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar