The Suicidal Child and Adolescent
Suicide prevention is an important area of expertise for all professionals working in psychiatric institutional settings. Children and adolescents in psychiatric hospitals and residential treatment centers are at greater risk for suicidal behaviors. Furthermore, it is unfortunate when suicidal behavior occurs in these institutional settings because keeping youngsters safe is one of their main purposes. The purpose of this chapter is to review knowledge of youth suicidal behavior and issues relevant to working with a suicidal child in psychiatric institutional settings, whether they be hospitals or residential treatment centers. It will also focus on the differences between institutional treatment settings.
KeywordsSuicidal Ideation Suicide Attempt Suicidal Behavior Psychiatric Hospital Child Psychiatry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ambrosini, P. J., & Puig-Antich, J. (1985. Major depression in children and adolescents. In D. Shaffer, A. A. Ehrhardt, & L. L. Greenhill (Eds.), The clinical guide to child psychiatry (pp. 182–191). New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Baldessarini, R. J. (1985. Drugs and the treatment of psychiatric disorders. In A. G. Gilman, L. S. Goodman, T. W. Rail, & F. Murad (Eds.), The pharmacological basis of therapeutics (pp. 387–445). New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Beck, A. T., Rush, A. J., Shaw, B. F., & Emery, G. (1979). Cognitive therapy for depression. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Campbell, M., Small, A. M., Green, W. H., Jennings, S. J., Perry, R., Bennett, W. G., & Anderson, L. (1984). Behavioral efficacy of haloperidol and lithium carbonate: A comparison in hospitalized aggressive children with conduct disorder. Archives of General Psychiatry, 41, 650–656.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Friedman, J. M. H., Asnis, G. M., Boeck, M., & DiFiore, J. (1987). Prevalence of specific suicidal behaviors in a high school sample. American Journal of Psychiatry, 144, 1203–1206.Google Scholar
- Josef, N. C., Kinkel, R. J., & Bailey, C. W. (1986). Suicide attempts by school-age adolescents. Program and Papers on New Research. The 139th Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, Abstract # NR57, Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association.Google Scholar
- National Center For Health Statistics: Advance report of final mortality statistics (1987, August 28). Monthly Vital Statistics Report (Vol. 36, No. 5). Hyattsville, MD: Public Health Service.Google Scholar
- Pfeffer, C. R. (1986). The suicidal child. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Rall, T. W., & Schleifer, L. S. (1985. Drugs effective in the therapy of the epilepsies. In A. G. Gilman, L. S. Goodman, T. W. Rall, & F. Murad (Eds.), The pharmacological basis of therapeutics (pp. 446–472). New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Ritchie, J. M. (1985. The aliphatic alcohols. In A. G. Gilman, L. S. Goodman, T. W. Rall, & F. Murad (Eds.), The pharmacological basis of therapeutics (pp. 372–386). New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Weiner, N. (1985. Drugs that inhibit adrenergic nerves and block adrenergic receptors. In A. G. Gilman, L. S. Goodman, T. W. Rall, & F. Murad (Eds.), The pharmacological basis of therapeutics (pp. 181–214). New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar