Issues and Trends in Early Bilingual Literacy in Brazil
A brief description will be made of literacy materials and programs from 1945 to the present, so as to provide a historical perspective for some of the critical issues and dominant trends in early bilingual and multilingual literacy in Brazil. The history of early literacy in Brazil has been closely linked to that of the design and publication of primers. Some of the very first readers, or primers, were of Portuguese origin, dating from 1820, but Brazilian teachers often created their own materials. From 1945 to the present, hundreds of primers have been used in Brazilian elementary schools. In São Paulo State alone over 30 different primers were used in the mid-1940s.
KeywordsMother Tongue Bilingual Education Indigenous Language Bilingual Child Literacy Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biazioli, S., & Gomes de Matos, F. (1978). Português do Brasil para estrangeiros. Conversaçâo, cultura e criatividade. São Paulo: Difusao Nacional do Livro.Google Scholar
- Bisol, L. (1975). Interferéncia de segunda lingna, na aquisiçao da escrita. Porto Alegre: UFRS. Bokamba, E. (1984). Language and literacy in West Africa. In R. B. Kaplan (Ed.), Annual review of applied linguistics (pp. 40–75 ). Rowley, MA: Newbury House.Google Scholar
- Gomes de Matos, F. (1983). A pluridisciplinary checklist for evaluation of materials used in the teaching of the mother tongue in Brazil. Paris: UNESCO, Division of Structures, Content, Techniques and Methods of Education.Google Scholar
- Gomes de Matos, F., & Carvalho, N. (1984). Como avaliar um livro didatico-lingua portuguesa. São Paulo: Pioneira.Google Scholar
- Gomes de Matos, F., & Wigdorsky, L. (1968). Foreign language teaching in Latin America. In T. L. Sebeok (Ed.), Trends in Ibero-American and Caribbean linguistics (pp. 464–533 ). The Hague: Mouton.Google Scholar
- Grimes, B. F. (Ed.). (1984). Ethnologue. Languages of the world ( 10th ed. ). Dallas, TX: Wycliffe Bible Translators.Google Scholar
- Kendall, F. E. (1983). Diversity in the classroom. New York, London: Teachers College Press. Kindell, G. (1984). Linguistics and literacy. In R. B. Kaplan (Ed.), Annual review of applied linguistics (pp. 8–23 ). Rowley, MA: Newbury House.Google Scholar
- Levi Mattoso, M. (Ed.). (1982). 1 Encontro sobre Bilinguismo no Sul do Brasil. Proceedings of the 1st Meeting on Bilingualism in Southern Brazil. Porto Alegre: CLA—Instituto de Letras, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul.Google Scholar
- Projeto ALFA. (1980). Sao Paulo: Abril.Google Scholar
- Vandresen, P. (Ed.). (1983). II Encontro de Bilinguismo e Variaçäo Linguistica. Proceedings of the 2nd Meeting on Bilingualism in Southern Brazil. Florianópolis, Santa Catarina: Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina.Google Scholar