Statistical Issues in Assessing the Aids Epidemic
Understanding the spread of AIDS and the virus that causes it is much more difficult than is generally recognized. The hope of predicting even the size of the epidemic over the next fifteen years, let alone the population groups that will be affected, is limited by lack of information about the natural history of AIDS and the infectivity of HIV, and by our sketchy knowledge of sexual and needle-sharing behavior.
KeywordsHuman Immunodeficiency Virus Sexual Partner Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection Anal Intercourse Unprotected Anal Intercourse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Centers for Disease Control (1987) Human immunodeficiency virus infectionGoogle Scholar
- in the United States: A review of current knowledge. MMWR 36: 5–6: 41.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control (1986) Update: acquired immunodeficiency syn-drome (AIDS) - United States. MMWR 32: 1721.Google Scholar
- De Gruttola V, K Mayer (1987) Human immunodeficiency virus and oral intercourse. Ann Intern Med 107: 428–429.Google Scholar
- Eyster M, M Gail, Ballard, H Al-Mondhiry, JJ Goedert (1987) Natural history of human immunodeficiency virus infection in hemophiliacs: effect of T-cell subsets, platelet counts, and age. Ann Intern Med 107: 1–6.Google Scholar
- Hessol N, G Rutherford, RM O’Mally, et al. (1987) The natural history of the human immunodeficiency virus infection in a cohort of homosexual and bisexual men: a seven-year study. In: Program and abstracts of the Third International Conference on AIDS. Washington D.C.Google Scholar
- Humphreys L, (1970) Tearoom Trade: Impersonal Sex in Public Places. Chicago: Aldine.Google Scholar
- Kinsey AC. (1948) Sexual behavior in the human male. Philadelphia: Saunders.Google Scholar
- Lui KJ, DN Lawrence, WM Morgan, TA Peterman, HW Haverkos, DJ Bregman (1986) A model-based approach for estimating the mean incubation period of transfusion-associated acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 83: 3051–3055.Google Scholar
- Medley GF, RM Anderson, DR Cox, L Billard (1987) Incubation period ofGoogle Scholar
- AIDS in patients infected via blood transfusion. Nature 328:719–721. Padian N, L Marquis, D Francis, RF Anderson, GW Rutherford, PM O’MalleyGoogle Scholar
- Public Health Service (1986) Public Health Reports 101: 341–348.Google Scholar