Alcoholism — A Response of Minority Communities to Rejection of Their Cultural Identity by the Dominant Culture
The reader should be aware that I am a newcomer to the study of alcohol and drug addiction and that my readings and research in the field are limited. I believe that the causes of alcoholism are polygenic. It is in this spirit that my interest was aroused in developing an understanding of the presence of alcohol among my people, the Jews of India now settled in Israel. This led me to search for meaningful intervention in order to redirect the community’s energies from alcohol misuse/addiction and its social self-destruction to joining other Israelis for a place of their own in the future state.
KeywordsDominant Group Wide Society Alcoholic Anonymous External Group Irish Culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bales, Robert F. “Attitudes toward drinking in the Irish culture.” In D. J. Pittman and C. R. Snyder (Eds.), Society, Culture and Drinking Patterns. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1962, pp. 173–174.Google Scholar
- Bell, Peter, and Evens, Jimmy. Alcohol Use and Abuse in Black America Unpublished paper, 1980, pp. 22, 17–23Google Scholar
- Breton, R., Reitz, J. G., and Valentine, V. F. Cultural Boundaries and the Cohersion of Canada. Montreal: The Institute for Research on Public Policy, 1980, p. 118.Google Scholar
- Cardinal, Harold. The Unjust Society. Edmonton: M. G. Hurtig Ltd., 1969, pp. 1, 25.Google Scholar
- Glasser, William. Mental Health or Mental Illness. New York: Harper and Row, 1960, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Green, J. “40 gallons a head - Alcohol in Alice.” Aust. J. Alcsm. Drug Depend. 3: 5–6, 1976, In Classified abstract prepared by Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol. New Brunswick: Center of Alcohol Studies, Rutgers University.Google Scholar
- Maxwell, Milton A. “Alcoholics Anonymous: An interpretation,” In D. J. Pittman and C. R. Snyder, (Eds.), Society, Culture and Drinking Patterns New York; John Wiley Sons, 1962, pp. 577–585.Google Scholar
- Saavedra, A., and Mariatequi, J. “The epidemiology of alcoholism in Latin America.” In R. E. Popham, (Ed.), Alcohol and Alcoholism. Toronto; University of Toronto Press, 1970.Google Scholar
- Selye, Hans. The Stress of Life. NHew York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1978, pp. 329–353. The Holy Scriptures. Philadelphia: The Jewish Publication Society of America, 1917, Exodus Ch. 3, vs. 14.Google Scholar