Issues in Defining and Assessing Reading Proficiency: The ACTFL Guidelines
In 1981, the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) published its Provisional Proficiency Guidelines (generic and language-specific descriptions) for the four language skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing). In 1986, ACTFL published its updated and sometimes expanded Proficiency Guidelines (general descriptions only). The changes in the descriptions were by and large improvements. This paper focuses on the reading guidelines with specific reference to their theoretical underpinnings.
KeywordsReading Comprehension Background Knowledge Foreign Language Reading Skill Target Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alderson, J. C. 1984. Reading in a foreign language: a reading problem or a language problem? In Reading in a foreign language, ed. by J. C. Alderson and A. H. Urquhart, 1–27. New York: Longman.Google Scholar
- Dubin, F., D. E. Eskey, and W. Grabe. 1986. Teaching second language reading for academic purposes. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Grabe, W. The transition from theory to practice in teaching reading. In (eds.), Teaching second language reading for academic purposes, ed. by F. Dubin, D. E. Eskey, and W. Grabe, 25-48. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- James, C. 1986. Language proficiency levels and the typology of text types. In Defining and developing proficiency: guidelines, implementations and concepts, ed. by H. Byrnes and M. Canale, 97–106. Lincolnwood, IL: National Textbook Company.Google Scholar
- ———. 1987. The Spanish subjunctive: an information processing perspective. Modern Language Journal 71.Google Scholar
- Lee, J. F. and T. L. Ballman. FL learners’ ability to recall and rate the important ideas of an expository text. In Foreign language learning: a research perspective, ed. by B. VanPatten, T. Dvorak, and J. F. Lee, 88-97. Cambridge, MA: Newbury House. (in press).Google Scholar
- McNeil, J. D. 1984. Reading comprehension: new directions for classroom practice. Glenview, IL: Scott Foresman.Google Scholar
- Omaggio, A. C. 1986. Teaching language in context. Boston, MA: Heinle and Heinle.Google Scholar
- Phillips, J. K. and P. Dandonoli. Testing receptive skills in a proficiency mode. Paper presented at the Northeast Conference. April 1986.Google Scholar