A Potential System of Delay-Lines in the Dolphin Auditory Brainstem
This is the second of an ongoing series of reports on the comparative cytoarchitecture of the dolphin auditory brainstem. The previous report (Zook et al., 1988) focused on unusually ordered cell arrangements within three auditory brainstem cell groups: the ventral cochlear nucleus (VCN), the medial nucleus of the trapezoid body (MNTB) and the ventral nucleus of the lateral lemniscus. Part of each cell group is distinguished by an orderly alignment of cells into straight rows or columns.
KeywordsPrincipal Cell Temporal Delay Initial Axon Segment Axon Diameter Ventral Cochlear Nucleus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kuwabara, N., DiCaprio, R. A. and Zook, J. M., 1989, Collateral axons of the medial nucleus of the trapezoid body, Soc. Neurosci., 15: 745.Google Scholar
- Li, R. Y-S. and Guinan, J. J., 1971, Antidromic and orthodromic stimulation of neurons receiving calyces of Held, MIT Q. Prog. Rep., 100: 227.Google Scholar
- Rose, J. E., Brugge, J. F. Anderson, D. J. and Hind, J. E., 1968, Patterns of activity in single auditory nerve fibres of the squirrel monkey, in: “Hearing Mechanisms in Vertebrates”, A. V. S. deReuck and J. Knight, eds., Churchill, London.Google Scholar
- Schnitzler, H.-U., 1987, Echoes of fluttering insects: Information for echolocating bats, in: “Recent Advances in the Study of Bats”, M. B. Fenton, P. A. Racey, I. M. V. Rayner, eds., Cambridge U. Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Suga, N., Simmons, J. A. and Jen, P. H.-S., 1975, Peripheral specialization for fine analysis of doppler-shifted echoes in the auditory system of the CF-FM bat Pteronotus parnellii. J. Exp. Bio., 63: 161.Google Scholar
- Zook, J. M., Jacobs, M. S., Glezer, I. and Morgane, P. J., 1988, Some comparative aspects of auditory brainstem cytoarchitecture in echolocating mammals: Speculations on the morphological basis of time-domain signal processing, in: “Animal Sonar: Processes and Performance”, P.E. Nachtigall and P.W.B. Moore, eds., Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Zook, J. M. and DiCaprio, R. A., 1987, A preparation for the in vitro study of efferent pathways in the auditory system. Soc. Neurosci., 13: 548.Google Scholar