Studies of HTS Ceramics-Copper Interaction
The discovery of high temperature superconducting (HTS) Y-Ba-Cu-O ceramics, with a transition temperature above that of liquid nitrogen1, issued the challenge to produce Y-Ba-Cu-O based conductors for practical usage. One of the first methods developed to produce the brittle intermetallic compound-based superconductors, was to deform the Y-Ba-Cu-O powder in a ductile can2. This method was employed to produce wire specimens based on A15 compounds (Nb3Sn)2, NaCl-(NbN)3,4, and Chevrelphases (PbMo6S8)5. The deformation stability problem of such conductors is not related to the crystallographic structure or the superconducting properties of an enclosed powder but is rather determined by factors such as powder dispersivity, mechanical properties of the canning material and the ratio between the canning and the powder-core areas4,6.
KeywordsResidual Stress Copper Oxide High Temperature Superconducting Superconducting Property Superconducting Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E. M. Savitzky, J. F. Efimov, N. D. Kozlov, B. P. Michailov, L. F. Myzenkova, E. D. Doron,kich: “Superconducting Materials”, M. Metallurgia (1976)Google Scholar
- 3.Patent USA N 4411953Google Scholar
- 4.E. M. Savitsky, V. V. Baron: “Powder metallurgy and superconducting materials” in “I. P. Bardeen and national metallurgy”Google Scholar
- 5.T. S. Luhman, O. Horigami, D. Dew-Hughes: Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc. 20, 343 (1975)Google Scholar
- 6.V. F. Suchkov, V. I. Svetlova, E. E. Finkel: “Thermoresistable cables with magnesia insulation”, M. Energia 1969, p. 96Google Scholar
- 7.A. S. Nikiforov, A. D. Nikulin, V. J. Fil’kin, N. V. Shishkov, I. I. Davydov, A. K. Shikov, E. V. Antipova, N. A. Chernoplekov, E. J. Klimenko: “La-Sr-Cu-O and Y-Ba-Cu-O composite superconductors”, M. Atomnaya Energia 63, 421 (1987)Google Scholar
- 8.N. M. Michailov, M. N. Smirnova, I. N. Groznov, V. A. Zhorin: “High pressure and deformation modification of structure and superconducting temperature of A-15 compounds”, Proceedings of the 2nd scientific meeting on “Metallophysics of superconductors”, 1983, Kiev, 134–135Google Scholar
- 10.A. D. Nikulin, V. A. Kovaleva, E. G. Kasakov, A. I. Skvortsov, V. I. Panzirny, V. A. Vargin: “Investigation of interaction between Cu-Sn alloy melts and Nb Sn layer”, Proceedings of the 2nd scientific meeting on “Metallophysics of superconductors” 1983, Kiev, 268–269Google Scholar