Magnetization and X-Ray Studies of YBa2Cu3O7-x Irradiated by Fast Neutrons
The influence of fast neutron irradiation on magnetic properties and structure of YBa2Cu3O7-x was studied. Samples irradiated with five neutron fluences between 4* 1016n/cm2 and 8. 7* 1017n/cm2 were investigated. The irradiation caused significant changes in the magnetic hysteresis of the samples. The creation of defects within the superconducting grains caused an increase of pinning forces, which enhance critical magnetization currents However, irradiation strongly damages the weak links between grains, which was observed through the decrease of low field hysteresis loops. The transport measurements showed a systematic decrease of transport critical current with increasing irradiation dose. It was noticed that only the highest fluence of neutrons (8. 7* 1017n/cm2) caused a small decrease of the transition temperature.
KeywordsCritical Current Flux Line Neutron Fluences Increase Irradiation Dose Diamagnetic Signal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E.M. Engler, IBM Res. Report (preprint)Google Scholar
- K.E. Gray, Third Workshop on RF Superconductivity, Argonne Nat. Lab Sept, 1987Google Scholar
- P. Chaudhari, R. H. Koch, R.B. Laibowitz, T.R. McGuire and R, J Gambino, Phys.Rev.Lett. 58 (1987) 2684Google Scholar
- B. Renker, I.Apfelstedt, H. Kupfer, C. Politis, H. Rietschel, W. Schauer, H. Wuhl, U. Gottwick, H. Kneissel, U. Rauchschwalbe, H. Spille and F. Steglich, Z. Phys. 8, Condensed Matter, 67 (1987) 1Google Scholar
- P. Przystupski, A. WiBniewski, S. KoleSnik, W, Dobrowolski, A. Paj4czkowska, K. Pytei, B. Pytel, presented at HTSC -M 2S, Interlaken, Feb. 1988Google Scholar
- F. Beech, S. Mìraglia, A. Santoro, R. S. Roth, Phys, Rev. B 35 (1 987)Google Scholar
- M. Francois, E. Walker, J.L. Jorda, K. Yvon, P. Fischer, Solid St. Comm. 63 (1987)Google Scholar
- A.Wisniewski, M,Baran, P.Przystupski, H.Szymczak, A.Pajaczkowska, B. Pytel, K. Pytel, Solid St. Comm. 65 (1988) 577Google Scholar
- J. R. Cost, J. O. Willis, J.D. Thompson and D. E. Peterson, Phys. Rev,B 37 (1988)Google Scholar
- H, Kupfer, I. Apfelstedt, W. Schauer, R, Flukiger, R. Meier -Hirmer, H. Wuhl and H. Scheurer, Z. Phys. 8, Ccondensed Matter, 69 (1987) 167Google Scholar
- A. Umezawa, G. W. Crabtree, J. Z. Liu, H. W. Weber, W. K, KwoK, L.H.Nunez, T, J, Moran, C. H. Sowers and H. Claus, Phys. Rev. B 36 (1987) 7151Google Scholar