Heat Capacity Measurements on Some High-Tc Superconductors
The heat capacity has been obtained for superconducting samples of La1.85Sr.15CuO4 1 and REBa2Cu307-x 2,3 (RE = Gd,Dy,Ho,Er). The ∆C/yT values of 2 to 5 for the La1.85Sr0.15CuO4 compound places this material well into the strong coupling limit From the data for REBa2Cu3O7-x, the degeneracies of the crystal field ground state are determined and the magnetic moment in the ground state and the energy separation to the first excited crystal field state are estimated. The magnetic transitions are observed at Tm = 2.2, 0.95, 0.17, and 0.59 K for the Gd, Dy, Ho, and Er compounds, respectively. The antiferromagnetic ordering of the Gd ions is independent of the presence or the absence of superconductivity and is unchanged in both insulating and metallic systems.
KeywordsHeat Capacity Superconducting Transition Temperature Strong Coupling Limit Heat Capacity Data Superconducting Compound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B.D.Dunlap, M.V.Nevitt, M.Slaski, T.E.Klippert, Z.Sungaila, A.G.McKale, D.W.Capone, R.B.Poeppel and B.K.Flandermeyer, Phys. Rev. B.35 (1987) 7210Google Scholar
- 3.B.D.Dunlap, M.Slaski, Z.Sungaila, D.G.Hinks, K.Zhang, C.Segre, S.K.Malik and E.E.Alp, Phys.Lett. (submitted)Google Scholar
- 4.H.A.Kierstead, B.D.Dunlap, S.K.Malik, A.M.Umarji and G.K.Shenoy, Phys. Rev. B32 (1985) 135Google Scholar
- 5.R.J.Trainor, G.S.Knapp, M.B.Brodsky, G.J.Pokorny and R.B.Snyder, Rev.Sci.Instr. 46 (1975) 95Google Scholar
- 7.M.V.Nevitt and T.E.Klippert, Phys.Rev. (submitted)Google Scholar