Potentially Toxic Effects of Drug and Toxins in Human Breast Milk
The lactating human breast is an ORPHAN ORGAN. Too little is known about mechanisms for the transfer of xenobiotics into milk. This review highlights a lack of data on drugs and chemical toxins in milk and proposes a remedial approach.
KeywordsBreast Milk Pharmacokinetic Model Nonlinear Regression Analysis Model Discrimination Plasma Compartment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.T. Wilson, R.D. Brown, D. Cherek, J.W. Dailey, B. Hilman, P.C. Jobe, B.R. Manno, J.E. Manno, H.M. Redetzki, and J.J. Stewart, Drugs in Breast Milk, ADIS Pres, Australia (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.J.T. Wilson. Chemical contaminants of cow’s milk and human milk, in: “Health Hazards of Milk,” D.L.J. Freed, ed., Bailiiere Tindall, London, (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.J.T. Wilson, I.J. Smith, J.L. Hinson, T.W. Woods, V.A. Johnson, and R.D. Brown, Fundamental kinetics of drug excretion in breast milk, in: “Human Lactation 2,” Plenum Publishing Corporation, New York, (1986).Google Scholar
- 8.J.T. Wilson, J.L. Hinson, R.D. Brown, and I.J. Smith, A comprehensive assessment of drugs and chemical toxins excreted in breast milk, in: “Human Lactation 2,” Plenum Publishing Corporation, New York, (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.J.T. Wilson, J.L. Hinson, V.A. Johnson, Thomas W. Woods, I.J. Smith, and R.D. Brown, Pharmacologic factors contributing to variance in the milk to plasma (M/P) ratio for acetaminophen in the goat, Dev. Pharmacol. Ther. In Press (1986).Google Scholar
- 10.J.T. Wilson, R.D. Brown, and J.L. Hinson, A comprehensive assessment of drugs in breast milk, III World Conference on Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Stockholm, 1986.Google Scholar
- 11.I. Matheson, K. Kristensen, and P.K.M. Lunde, Breast feeding, maternal and infant drug use, III World Conference on Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Stockholm, 1986.Google Scholar
- 12.American Academy of Pediatrics (Committee on Drugs) The transfer of drugs and other chemicals into human breast milk, Pediatrics, 72:375-383 (1983).Google Scholar