Transfer of Tuberculin Immunity from Mother to Infant
Previous investigators (1–3) have suggested that tuberculin immunity may be transferred from the mother to the infant via human milk, but other investigators (4–5) have found transplacental transfer of immunity. The purpose of our study was to examine transfer of tuberculin immunity by studying newborn lymphocyte blastogenesis induced by PPD antigen at 1–5 days of age, 4–6 weeks of age and 3 months of age. We also examined lymphokine production by neonatal lymphocytes as another index of tuberculin immunity. For this purpose we studied PPD-induced monocyte chemotactic factor production by lymphocytes from infants 4–6 weeks of age. In an attempt to define the mechanism of transfer of immunity, we studied male infants of tuberculin positive breast-feeding mothers at 4–6 weeks of age and examined the sex chromosomes of lymphocytes dividing in response to PPD-stimulation. This sex determination would identify blastogenic lymphocytes as either of maternal or newborn origin.
KeywordsBreast Milk Maternal Cell UCLA School Transplacental Transfer Chemotactic Index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ogra, SS, D Weintraub, PL Ogra, 1977. Immunologic aspects of human colostrum and milk III. Fate and absorption of cellular and soluble components in the gastrointestinal tract of the newborn. J of Immunology 119:245–248.Google Scholar
- 5.Gallagher, MR, R Welliver, T Yamanaka, B Eisenberg, M Sun, PL Ogra, 1981. Cell-Mediated Immune Responsiveness to Measles AJDC 135:48–51.Google Scholar
- 7.Altman, LC, R Snyderman, JJ Oppenheim, SE Mergenhagen, 1973. A human mononuclear leukocyte chematactic factor: Characterization, specificity and kinetics of production of homologous leukocytes. J Immunol 110:801–810.Google Scholar
- 8.Introduction to statistical analysis, 1983. VU Dixon and FJ Massey, Jr. 152, 583. Mc Graw-Hill Book Company.Google Scholar
- 9.Documenta Geigy. Scientific Tables, 6th ed., Ardsley, NY. Geigy Pharmaceuticals, 1968:32.Google Scholar
- 10.Documenta Geigy. Scientific Tables, 6th ed. Ardsley, NY, Geigy Pharmaceuticals 1962, pp 109-123.Google Scholar
- 11.Neter, J., Wasserman, W, 1974. Applied linear statistical models, regression, analyses of variance, and experimental designs. Irwin, Inc., Homewood, IL.Google Scholar
- 12.Beyer, WH (ed) CRC Handbook of Tables for Probability and Statistics, 2nd ed. The Chemical Rubber Co., Cleveland, OH, p 389.Google Scholar