The Participation of the Cerebral Cortex and Basal Ganglia in Motor Act Programming
Long-lasting unit activity of cortical areas (prefrontal, parietal, motor) and subcortical structures (neostriatum, pallidum, n. ventralis anterior) was studied in conscious monkeys during the performance of a delayed alternation task. The behavioural task was as follows: on presentation of the right or left cue the monkey had to press the right or left lever, respectively. A separate group of spatial selective neurons was found to exist. The properties of these units, which were found in prefrontal and posterior parietal areas, neostriatum and n. ventralis anterior, suggest that these structures are involved in the programming of a forthcoming goal-directed motor act. Motor and anterior parietal cortices and pallidum participate rather in the execution of the motor act.
KeywordsBehavioural Task Trigger Signal Spatial Selectivity Left Lever High Firing Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Batuev, A.S., 1982, Programming of goal-directed behaviour and association systems of the brain, The Pavlovian J. of Biol. Sci., 17:1–9.Google Scholar
- Batuev, A.S., 1987, Higher integrative systems of the brain, Gordon and Breach, London.Google Scholar
- Batuev, A.S., Pirogov, A.A., Orlov, A.A., Shaefer, V.I., 1980, Cortical mechanisms of goal-directed motor acts in the rhesus monkey, Acta neurobiol. Experim., 40: 27–49.Google Scholar
- Butters, N., Pandya, D., Sanders, K., Dye, P., 1971, Behavioral deficits in monkey after selective lesions within middle third of s. principalis, J. Comp. Physiol., 76: 8–14.Google Scholar
- De Long, M.R., Georgopoulos, A.P., Crutcher, M.D., Mitchell, S.J., Richardson, R.T., Alexander, G.E., 1981, Functional organization of the basal ganglia: contributions of the single-cell recording studies, Functions of the basal ganglia, Pitman, London: 64–82.Google Scholar
- Evarts, E.V., Shinoda, Y., Wise, S.P., 1984, Neurophysiological approaches to higher brain functions, J. Wiley and Sons, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Fuster, J.M., 1980, The prefrontal cortex, Anatomy, physiology and neuropsychology of the frontal cortex, Raven Press, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Mountcastle, V.B., 1976, The world around us: neuronal command functions for selective attention, Neurosci. Res. Progr. Bull., Suppl., 14: 1–43.Google Scholar
- Orlov, A.A., Batuev, A.S., Shaefer, V.I., Kursina, N.P., 1984, Neuronal activity in striopallidum of monkey during the delayed spatial choice, in: The striate system and behavior in norm and pathology: 125–132.Google Scholar
- Pirogov, A.A., Batuev, A.S., 1981, Cortical unit activity and motor act programming, 28th Int. Congr. Physiol. Sci., Adv. Physiol., Sci., 17: 239–245.Google Scholar