The Future of Preferential Affirmative Action
In the autumn of 1985, the debate over affirmative action—which goes back at least 15 years—heated up again. The Reagan administration, it appeared from newspaper reports, was preparing to revise the executive order of 1965 that had been the basis of affirmative action, as well as the federal regulations that specified how federal contractors were to fulfill their affirmative-action requirements. A political uproar ensued in the wake of the newspaper reports, as could have been expected, and after some dispute within the administration about just what was to be done, a new quiet descended. Either revision had been abandoned, or a better control over leaks was being enforced.
KeywordsAffirmative Action Asian Student Executive Order Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Reagan Administration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Code of Federal Regulations, 41, 60–2.11.Google Scholar
- Glazer, N. (1976). Affirmative discrimination: Ethnic inequality and public policy. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Glazer, N. (1983). Ethnic dilemmas, 1964–1982. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Jacobs, S. L. (1985, February 5). Changes in employment laws can trap unwary companies. The Wall Street Journal, p. 25.Google Scholar
- Leonard, J. S. (1984a). The impact of affirmative action on employment (National Bureau of Economic Research, Working Paper No. 1310). Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Leonard, J. S. (1984b). What promises are worth: The impact of affirmative action goals (National Bureau of Economic Research, Working Paper No. 1346). Washington DC.Google Scholar
- Leonard, J. S. (1985, February). What was affirmative action? Paper prepared for U.S. Commission on Civil Rights Panel on Affirmative Action as a Remedy for Discrimination.Google Scholar
- Samuelson, R. J. (1984, July 11). Affirmative action’s usefulness is passing. The Washington Post.Google Scholar
- Sowell, T. (1981). Markets and minorities. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- U.S. Commission on Civil Rights. (1985, January). Towards an understanding of Stotts (Clearinghouse Publication 85). Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Welch, F. (1985, March 6–7). Affirmative action in employment: An overview and assessment of effects (Report #85–02-DoL). Paper prepared for U.S. Commission on Civil Rights Consultation on Affirmative Action in Employment.Google Scholar