It has been estimated that approximately 18 million episodes of bronchitis are treated in an ambulatory care setting in the United States each year.1 These inflammatory events produce troublesome symptoms, often result in absenteeism from work, and, on occasion, threaten the life of the patient. With the introduction of new culture and serological techniques, the infectious organisms contributing to actue bronchitis and the exacerbation of chronic bronchitis are being more completely defined. This chapter reviews contemporary concepts pertaining to the pathogenesis, microbiology, clinical features, differential diagnosis, therapy, and prevention of bronchitis in adults.
KeywordsChronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Influenza Vaccine Chronic Bronchitis Clavulanic Acid Pneumococcal Vaccine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.MacDonald KL, Osterholm MT, Hedberg CW, et al: Toxic shock syndrome: A newly recognized complication of influenza like illness. JAMA 1987; 257: 1052 - 1058.Google Scholar
- 8.American Thoracic Society: Definitions and classification of chronic bronchitis, asthma and pulmonary emphysema. Am Rev Respir Dis 1962; 85: 762 - 768.Google Scholar
- 12.Britten N, Davies JMC, Colley JRT: Early respiratory experience and subsequent cough and peak expiratory flow rate in 36 year old men and women. Br Bed J 1987; 294: 1317 - 1320.Google Scholar
- 14.Irwin RS, Corroa WM, Erickson AD, et al: Characterization by transtrachaeal aspiration of the tracheobronchial microflora during acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive bronchitis. Am Rev Respir Dis 1980; 121 (suppl): 150.Google Scholar
- 19.Musher DM, Goree A, Baughn RE, et al: Immunoglobulin A from bronchopulmonary secretions blocks bactericidal and opsonizing effects of antibody to nontypable Haemophilus influenzae. Infect Immun 1984; 45: 36 - 40.Google Scholar
- 20.Raheja AK, Weiss EB: The significance of fever in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive airways disase. Am Rev Respir Dis 1981; 123 (Suppl): 71.Google Scholar
- 23.Chodosh S: Bacampicillin in chronic bronchitis: Clinical experience. Bull NY Acad Med 1983; 59: 505 - 514.Google Scholar
- 29.Leech JA, Gervais A, Rubin FL: Efficacy of pneumococcal vaccine in severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Can Med Assoc J 1987; 136: 361 - 365.Google Scholar