The Influence of the Si-Substrate Characteristics on the Quality of Poly-Si and Al Gated Mos Oxides
The dielectric strength and the Si/S1O2 interface state density were determined for thermally grown silicon dioxide layers grown on various Si-substrates (FZ, CZ with varying oxygen content and EPI material). A clear dependence of the high-field breakdown characteristics on the starting oxygen content of the Si-substrate was established. The effects of cleaning, pre-oxidation heat treatment and gate electrode material were also investigated.
KeywordsSi02 Layer Dielectric Strength Breakdown Field Interface State Density Gate Area
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. Klein, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices ED-13, 788 (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.M. M. Heyns and R F. DeKeersmaecker. ‘The role of electron and hole traps in the degradation and breakdown of thermally grown Si02 layers“, paper presented at the MRS-meeting, Boston, December 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Holland, I. C. Chen. J. Lee, Y. Fong, K K. Young and C. Hu in “Silicon nitride and silicon dioxide thin insulating films”, Eds. V. J. Kapoor and K. T. Hankins ( The Electrochem. Soc., Pennington, NJ, 1987 ), p. 361.Google Scholar
- 8.C. M. W. Hillen, R F. De Keersrnaecker, M. M. Heyns, S. K. Haywood and I. S. Daraktchiev in “Insulating Films on Semiconductors”. Eds. J. F. Verweij and D. R Wolters (North-Holland. Amsterdam,. 1983 ), p. 274.Google Scholar
- 10.P. 0. Hahn, I. Lampert, and A. Schnegg, Material Research Society meeting, Dec. 1987.Google Scholar
- 11.W. Kern and D. A. Puotinen, RCA Rev. 31, 187 (1970).Google Scholar
- 12.E. H. Nicollian, and J. R Brews, MOS (Metal Oxide Semiconductor) Physics and Technology ( Wiley, New York, 1982 ).Google Scholar
- 17.K. Yamabe. K. Taniguchi, and Y. Matsushita, Proceedings of the Symposium on Defects in Silicon, vol. 83–9, 629 (1983).Google Scholar
- 18.H. Abe, F. Kiyosumi, K. Yoshioka, and M. ‘no, Proceedings of the International Electron Devices Meeting, 372 (1985).Google Scholar
- 19.H. Abe. Kiyosumi in “Semiconductor Silicon 1986”, Eds. H. R Huff and T. Abe ( The Electrochem. Soc., Pennington, NJ, 1986 ), p. 1011.Google Scholar
- 21.K. D. Beyer and T. H. Yeh, IBM Techn. Disci. Bull. 20, 1741 (1977).Google Scholar
- 22.I. Lampert, Extended Abstracts Electrochem. Soc. p. 381, May 1987.Google Scholar