Observation of “1/f-Noise States” in Conductance Measurements on Mos Structures
Defect states in the oxide, residing close to the Si:SiO2 interface, are responsible for the generation of random telegraph signals in small-area MOSFETs and 1/f noise in large devices. By improving resolution and extending the frequency range of the conventional conductance technique, we demonstrate that these states are observable in measurements at room temperature and in device-quality oxides. A loss peak due to the normal interface states is seen, together with a plateau on the low-frequency side due to the trapping centres in the oxide.
KeywordsInterface State Defect State Resistance Switching Large Device Random Telegraph Signal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E.H. Nicollian and J.R. Brews, MOS Physics and Technology, Wiley, New York, (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.M. Schulz, Interface States at the Si-Si02 Interface, Surf. Sci. 132:422 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.K.S. Rails, W.J. Skocpol, L.D. Jackel, RE. Howard, L.A. Fetter, RW. Epworth and D.M. Tennant, Discrete Resistance Switching in Submicrometer Silicon Inversion Layers: Individual Interface States and Low-Frequency (1/f?) Noise, Phys. Rev. Lett. 52:228 (1984).Google Scholar
- 4.M.J. Uren, DJ. Day and M.J. Kirton, 1/f and Random Telegraph Noise in Silicon MOSFETs, Appl. Phys. Lett. 47:1195 (1985).Google Scholar
- 5.M.J. Buckingham, Noise in Electronic Devices and Systems, Ellis Horwood, Chichester, (1983).Google Scholar
- 6.D.H. Eaton and CT. Sah, Frequency Response of Si-Si02 Interface States on Thin Oxide MOS Capacitors, Phys. Stat. Sol. a12:95 (1972).Google Scholar
- 7.K.L. Ngai and S.T. Liu, Studies of Interface States of Silicon MOS Devices by Dynamic Conductance and Noise Mesaurements and Effects of Bias-Temperature Stress, Thin Solid Films 93: 321 (1982).Google Scholar
- 8.E.H. Nicollian and A. Goetzberger, The Si-Si02 Interface Electrical Properties as Determined by the Metal-Insulator-Silicon Conductance Technique, Bell. Syst. J. 46:1055 (1967).Google Scholar
- 9.G. Reimbold, Modified 1/f Trapping Noise Theory and Experiments in MOS Transistors Biased from Weak to Strong Inversion Influence of Interface States, IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices ED-31:1190 (1984).Google Scholar
- 10.B. Deal, Standardised Terminology for Oxide Charges Associated with Thermally Oxidised Silicon, IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices ED-27:606 (1980).Google Scholar