ARXPS Analysis of Si-SiO2-Interfaces
Angle resolved x-ray photo electron spectroscopy (ARXPS) results in a very detailed analysis of minor amounts ( ≧ 0.3 nm) of interface compounds and their spatial distribution. First experimental results on the Si-SiO2interface used in microelectronics, are presented. The ARXPS results on plane, single cristalline (100) Si, oxidized to about 5nm SiO2, indicate a planar Si surface connected by about one monolayer Si* to a compressed SiO2 layer coated by amorphous SiO2. Seperated from this interface region Si cluster stabilized by a compressing SiO 2 * coating have been found in SiO2. Dehydrogenation is showing up in binding energy changes in SiO2 indicating that H or OH is not only saturating Si* but is bonded also to SiO2. The O deficiency of the amorphous SiO2−x coating is increasing towards the outer SiO2 surface.
KeywordsShape Function Strain Relaxation Interface Oxide Thick Oxide Si02 Coating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The Physics of Si02 and its Interfaces (S. T. Pantelides Ed., Pergamon, New York, 1978); Semiconductor Silicon (edited by H.R. Huff, T. Abe, B. Kolbesen Electrotechnical Society, N.J. 1986); Insulating films on Semiconductors (edited by M. Schulz, G. Pensl, Springer Series in Electrophysics, 7, Springer, Berlin, 1981)Google Scholar
- 3.N.S. Mc Intyre, W.M. Lau, J.R. Mycroft, S.I. Ingrey, to be pubi.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Grundner, H. Jacob, Appl. Phys. A39, 73 (1986)Google Scholar
- 7.A. Darlinski, J. Halbritter, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A5, 1235 (1987)Google Scholar
- 8.J. Halbritter, J. Mat. Res. 2, May (1988)Google Scholar
- 10.Research Lab. Siemens-MünchenGoogle Scholar
- F.M. Ross, W.M. Stobbs, Surf. Interf. Anal. 12 (’88)Google Scholar
- 13.W. Huschka, E. Umbach, Diplom thesis (TU-Mûnchen, 1988 )Google Scholar
- P. Collot, G. Gautherin, B. Agius, S. Rigo, F. Rochet, Phil. Mag B52, 1051 (1985) and to be published.Google Scholar
- 15.S.I. Raider, R. Futsch in: The Physics of Si02 and its Interfaces (Ed. S.T. Pantelides, Pergamon, New York, 1978 ); 384Google Scholar
- 16.A.H. Carim, thesis (Stanford University, 1987 )Google Scholar
- 17.J. Halbritter, Appl. Phys. A43, 1 and J. Less-Common Mat. 139, 133 (1987)Google Scholar