Physical Modification of α-Cyanoacrylate for Application as Surgical Adhesives
Lactide-ε-caprolactone copolymers [P(LA-co-CL)] were added to α-cyanoacrylates [CA] for thickening CA and plasticizing the resulting polymer. In addition to the viscosity, the set time, the spreading in blood, the bond strength of CA, and the stiffness of CA polymers were determined after CA mixing with P(LA-co-CL). The pressure-diameter relation for canine femoral arteries coated with CA was utilized to determine the stiffness parameter of the CA polymers. Furthermore, growth inhibition of Swiss 3T3 cells was tested using microspheres of the mixtures. It was found that the longer the side chain of CA, the lower was the stiffness of the polymer. With the increasing amount of P(LA-co-CL) in the mixture, the stiffness parameter decreased, while both the viscosity and the set time of CA increased. There was no difference in the bond strength, in vivo, between the pure CA and the CA mixed with the various concentrations of P(LA-co-CL) up to 15 wt.%. The copolymer addition to CA significantly reduced the cell growth inhibition of CA.
KeywordsBond Strength Cell Growth Inhibition Stiffness Parameter Anionic Polymerization Surgical Adhesive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. A. Mcgraw & R. G. Caffesse, J. West. Soc. Periodont, 26, 4 (1978).Google Scholar
- 4.C. G. Drake, Clin. Neurosurg., 26, 145 (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.K. A. Galil, I. D. Schofield & G. A. Wright, Can. Dent. Assoc. J., 50, 565 (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.U.S. Patent 2,784,127; assigned to Eastman Kodak Company.Google Scholar
- 8.Japanese Patent 1973-10379.Google Scholar
- 9.Y.-C Tseng, S.-H Hyon, Y. Ikada, Y. Shimizu, K. Tamura & S. Hitomi, “The 35th symposium on Adhesion and Adhesives”, Adhesion Society of Japan, Tokyo, Japan, July 1987, p. 17.Google Scholar
- 13.T. Nakamura, S. Hitomi, T. Shimamoto, S.-H. Hyon, Y. Ikada, S. Watanabe & Y. Shimizu, “Proc. Sixth European Conference on Biomaterials”, Bologna, Italy, September 1986, p. 759.Google Scholar
- 14.Y.-C. Tseng, S.-H. Hyon & Y. Ikada, The 35th Annual Meeting of the Society of Polymer Science of Japan, Kyoto, Japan, May 1986, p. 500.Google Scholar
- 19.L. R. Beck, D. R. Cowsar, D. H. Lewis, R. J. Cosgrove, C. T. Riddle & S. L. Epperly, Fertil. Steril., 31, 545 (1979).Google Scholar
- 20.S.-H. Hyon, T. Nakamura, K. Jamshidi, T. Yamamoto & Y. Ikada, “China-Japan Bilateral Symposium on the Synthesis and Materials Science of Polymers”, Academia Sinica, China, and the Society of Polymer Science, Japan, Beijing, China, October 1984, p. 369.Google Scholar