Medical Applications for Extraction Resistant PVC Compounds
Flexible PVC has for many years provided a major contribution in the development, manufacture, and assembly of medical devices. The wealth of information available today regarding the performance of conventional PVC compounds underwrites their undoubted value, but also recognizes certain limitations. Exploiting its unique ability to accept an ever increasing range of material variables, PVC polymer systems can be engineered to extend performance boundaries. This paper identifies certain applications where the use of extraction resistance PVC compounds provides additional benefits. The properties of DEHP, TOTM and PA plasticized compounds are reviewed and the information presented includes recent data concerning extraction into biological fluids. Novel techniques developed elsewhere using in vitro and ex vivo procedures to assess the blood platelet response, immune response, and the influence of antithrombotic agents upon these compounds are reviewed with the accompanying results.
KeywordsPlatelet Adhesion Extraction Resistance Alternative Plasticizer Kabi Vitrum Plasticizer Extraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.“DEHP — A critical review and interpretation of the available toxicological information”, CEFIC, Brussels, September 1985.Google Scholar
- 2.E. G. Hayhurst & M. Wyman, Am. J. Dis. Children, 129, 72 (1975).Google Scholar
- 4.T. P. Gibson, W. A. Briggs & B. J. Boone, J. Lab. Clin. Med., 87, 519 (1976).Google Scholar
- 5.M. S. Biggs & J. Baldwin, Plast. Rub. Mater. Appl., 5 (4), 187 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.M. S. Biggs & D. Robson in: “Polymers in Medicine”, E. Chiellini & P. Giusti, Eds., Plenum Publishing Corp., 1984, p. 375.Google Scholar
- 7.“Transfusion Equipment for Medical Use”, British Standard Spec. 2463.Google Scholar
- 8.NHPL unpublished work, University of Newcastle upon Tyne Medical School, (February 1987).Google Scholar
- 9.NHPL unpublished work, North American Science Associates, Test Reports (1982).Google Scholar
- 12.J. M. Courtney, M. Travers, D. L. Mwaniki, J. P. Paul, G. D. O. Lowe & C. D. Forbes, “Biomaterials and Clinical Applications”, A. Pizzoferrato, P. G. Marchetti, A. Ravaglioli & A. J. C. Lee, Eds., Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1987, pp. 771–776.Google Scholar
- 13.C. J. Ryan, J. M. Courtney, C. B. Wood, R. G. Hood & L. H. Blumgart, Brit. J. Exp. Path., 60, 400–404 (1979).Google Scholar