In Vitro Analysis of Plasma Protein Diffusion in Crosslinked Gelatin Coatings Used for Blood Pumps
Glutaraldehyde crosslinked gelatin surfaces, used as blood pump coatings in calves, have shown excellent long term blood compatibility. The study evaluated the diffusion and kinetics of plasma proteins into gelatin gel matrices using SDS-PAGE and GPC (gel permeation chromatography). The effects of plasma protein diffusion within the gel and the reactivity of bovine platelets to this surface were evaluated in vitro. Five percent crosslinked gelatin gels, 30–50 μm thick, were incubated with fresh bovine plasma for intervals of 5 minutes to 24 hours. Platelet reactivity to the gel surface was examined by exposing the gel surfaces to platelet rich plasma for 2 hours. Changes in platelet morphology were observed by SEM.
KeywordsPlasma Protein Platelet Rich Plasma Platelet Reactivity Blood Pump Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Kambic, S. Murabayashi, H. Harasaki & Y. Nosè, Artif. Organs, 5 (suppl), 526 (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.H. Kambic, S. Murabayashi, H. Harasaki, S. Suwa, M. Pepoy, K. Hayashi, D. Hillegass, R. Kiraly & Y. Nosè, Artif. Organs, 3 (suppl), 203 (1979).Google Scholar
- 3.H. Harasaki, R. Kiraly, S. Murabayashi, M. Pepoy, A. Fields, H. Kambic, D. Hillegass & Y. Nosè, Artif. Organs, 3 (suppl), 216 (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Nosè, The Development of a Totally Implantable Cardiac Replacement Device, Technical Proposal to NHLBI, November, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.J. L. Brash, in: “Interactions of Blood with Natural and Artificial Surface,” E. W. Salzman, Ed., Marcel Dekker, New York, 1981, p. 37.Google Scholar
- 10.M. A. Packham, G. Evans, M. F. Glynn & J. F. Mustard, J. Lab. Clin. Med., 73, 686 (1969).Google Scholar
- 11.C. S. P. Jenkinson, M. A. Packman, M. A. Guccione & J. F. Mustard, J. Lab. Clin. Med., 81, 280 (1973).Google Scholar
- 12.S. W. Kim, R. G. Lee, H. Oster, D. Coleman, J. D. Andrade, D. J. Lentz & D. Olsen, Trans. Am. Soc. Artif. Int. Organs, 20, 449 (1974).Google Scholar
- 13.H. Emoto, S. Murabayashi, H. Kambic, M. Zimmerman, J. Goldcamp, T. Horiuchi, H. Harasaki & Y. Nosè, Trans. Am. Soc. Artif. Int. Organs, 33, 606 (1987).Google Scholar