Diagnosis and Medical Treatment of Infertility
In recent years, those who seek medical treatment for infertility often attempt to assimilate a great deal of information regarding diagnostic and treatment procedures. In order to provide support for infertile couples undergoing such procedures and to investigate this process adequately, therapists and researchers who study psychological adjustment to infertility require a working knowledge of its causes, diagnosis, and treatment. The present chapter is intended to provide an overview of current knowledge in this area. In addition, a description of the optimal approach to the infertility evaluation is offered. An infertile couple who receives less than optimal evaluation and treatment is likely to experience even greater distress than that arising from their inability to conceive.
KeywordsFallopian Tube Male Infertility Ovulatory Cycle Infertile Couple Luteinizing Hormone Surge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Behrman, S. J., & Kistner, R. W. (1975). Progress in infertility. Boston: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- Buttram, V. C., Jr. (1988). Endometriosis. In S. J. Behrman, R. W. Kistner, & G. W. Patton, Jr. (Eds.), Progress in infertility (3rd ed., pp. 273–332). Boston: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- Dubin, L., & Amelar, R. D. (1976). Varicocelectomy as therapy in male infertility: A study of 504 cases. Fertility and Sterility, 26, 217–220.Google Scholar
- Kliger, B. E. (1982). Evaluation, therapy, and outcome in 493 infertile couples. Fertility and Sterility, 41, 40–46.Google Scholar
- Medical Research International and the Society of Assisted Reproductive Technology, The American Fertility Society. (1991). In vitro fertilization/embryo transfer (IVF-ET) in the United States: 1989 results from the IVF/ET Registry. Fertility and Sterility, 55, 14–23.Google Scholar
- Silber, S. J. (1980). How to get pregnant. New York: Warner Books.Google Scholar
- Speroff, L., Glass, R. H., & Kase, N. G. (1983). Clinical gynecologic endocrinology and infertility. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins.Google Scholar
- U.S. Congress, Office of Technology Assessment. (May, 1988). Infertility: Medical and social choices, OTA-BA-358. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.Google Scholar