Ammine/Amine Platinum IV Dicarboxylates: A Novel Class of Complexes Which Circumvent Intrinsic Cisplatin Resistance
Since its introduction into clinical practice some 20 years ago, cisplatin has made a major impact on the response rates of several human malignancies, notably testicular and ovarian cancers. Nonetheless, this drug does have limitations: its severe side-effects, its poor activity against some common tumours (e.g. breast and non small cell lung cancers, Loehrer and Einhorn, 1984) and its inability to confer lasting remissions in responding tumour types (especially ovary) due to the emergence of drug resistance.
KeywordsAntitumour Activity Platinum Complex Flameless Atomic Absorption Human Ovarian Carcinoma Cell Line Flameless Atomic Absorption Spectrometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrews P.A. and Howell S.B., 1990, Cellular pharmacology of cisplatin: perspectives on mechanisms of acquired resistance. Cancer Cells 2: 36Google Scholar
- Calvert A.H., Harland S.J., Newell D.R., Siddik Z.H., Jones A.C., NcElwain T.J., Raju S., Wiltshaw E., Smith I.E., Baker J.M., Peckham M.J. and Harrap K.R., 1982, Early clinical studies with cis-diammine-1,1-cyclobutane dicarboxylate platinum II. Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 9: 140PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eisenhauer E., Swerton K., Sturgeon J., Fine S., O’Reilly S. and Canetta R., 1990, Carboplatin therapy for recurrent ovarian carcinoma: National Cancer Institute of Canada experience and a review of the literature, in: “Carboplatin: Current Perspectives and Future Directions”, P. Bunn, R. Canetta, R. Ozols and M. Rozencweig, eds., W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, p. 133.Google Scholar
- Harrap K.R., 1985, Preclinical studies identifying carboplatin as a viable cisplatin alternative. Cancer Treat. Rev. 12 (Suppl. A): 21.Google Scholar
- Harrap K.R., Jones M., Goddard P.M., Orr R.M. and Siddik Z.H., 1988, Drug resistance as a focus for new drug design, in: “Mechanisms of Drug Resistance in Neoplastic Cells — Bristol-Myers Cancer Symposia, Volume 9”, P.V. Woolley and K.D. Tew, eds., Academic Press, New York, p. 307.Google Scholar
- Harrap K.R., Kelland L.R., Jones M., Goddard P.M., Orr R.M., Morgan S.E., Murrer B.A., Abrams M.J. and Giandomenico C.M., 1991, Platinum coordination complexes which circumvent cisplatin resistance. Adv. Enzyme Regln. 31: in press.Google Scholar
- Orr R.M., O’Neill C.F., Murrer B.A., Nicolson M.C. and Harrap K.R., 1989, Evaluation of novel platinum II and platinum IV ammine/amine complexes using L1210 sublines resistance to cisplatin or tetraplatin. Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. 30: 509Google Scholar
- Skehan P., Storreng R., Scudiero N., Monks A., McMahon J., Vistica D., Warren J., Bokesh H., Kinney S. and Boyd M., 1989, Evaluation of colorimetric and biomass stains for assaying in vitro drug effects upon human tumour cells. Proc. Am. Assoc. Cancer Res. 30: 612Google Scholar