Pharmacokinetics of Carboplatin in Children and the Development of a Paediatric Dose Equation
Since carboplatin first underwent clinical evaluation in 19811 it has established itself as important alternative to cisplatin. The most important advantage of carboplatin is that it has reduced non-haematological toxicities compared to cisplatin. The serious dose-limiting toxicities of cisplatin, nephrotoxicity and peripheral neuropathy, are virtually absent when conventional doses of carboplatin are used. Other toxicities such as emesis, ototoxicity and electrolyte loss are also reduced2.
KeywordsTotal Body Water Nonrenal Clearance Pretreatment Parameter Testicular Teratoma Carboplatin Clearance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Cleare MJ: Development of new new platinum coordination complexes: Overview, pp 213-215 in Platinum coordination complexes in cancer chemotherapy, Ed Miles P hacker and Irwin H Krakoff, Martinus Nijhoff Publishing 1983.Google Scholar
- 8.Pater J for the Ovarian Cancer Trials committee of the NCIC. Cyclophosphamide/cisplatin versus cyclophosphamide/carboplatin in macroscopic residual ovarian cancer. Initial results of a National Cancer Institute of Canada clinical trials group trial. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol abstract number 602, 1990.Google Scholar
- 12.Harland SJ, Newell DR, Siddik ZH, Chadwick R, Calvert AH. Harrap KR. The pharmacokinetics of cis-diammine-1,1-cyclobutane dicarboxylate platinum (II) (CBDCA) in patients with normal and impaired renal function. Cancer Res. 44:1693–1697, 1983.Google Scholar
- 15.Horwich A, Carboplatin in the treatment of testicular cancer: The Royal Marsden Hospital Testicular Tumour Unit Experience. pp53-62.Google Scholar
- 16.Chantier C, Garnett ES, Parsons V et al. Glomerular filtration rate measurement in man by a single injection method using 51Cr-EDTA. J Clin Sci 37:169–190, 1969.Google Scholar
- 18.Friis-Hansen B, Body water compartments in children: Changes during growth and related changes in body composition. Paediatrics 28:169–181, 1961.Google Scholar
- 23.Future Directions with Carboplatin: Can Therapeutic Monitoring, High-Dose and Growth Factors Expand the Spectrum Compared with Cisplatin? AH Calvert, DR Newell, ME Gore. In Carboplatin: Current Perspectives and future directions, Ed Ozols RF pub WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia 1991.Google Scholar